We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family coming to FL

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winston Salem...
reviews: 2
Family coming to FL

Hi, We are a family with 4 kids , age range from 9-20. We're coming to town for the Orange Bowl (Go Deacs) We're staying at Doubletree Guest Suites-Galleria. We'd like to know what good restaurants there are for families. Also, we'll have college aged kids with us who want to go out for New Years Eve....they will most likely meet up with friends, but are there suggestions of clubs or restaurants they could go to. Is Las Olas (sp) a good place to walk around in the evenings for places to eat?

Also, What beaches are closest to our hotel? Do you suggest other beaches to go to to spend the day? We'd love suggestions of any kind. We've never been to this area of Fla.

Thanks!!!

D

Fort Lauderdale, FL...
1. Re: Family coming to FL

Just west of your hotel is The Galleria Mall. There is a great food court there much nicer and better organized than any other that I have ever seen. Everyone can pick their selection and meet at a central cashier for you to pay. There are also several more upscale restaurants located in the mall. Seasons 52 is a favorite of many.

I hope that one day you can take a ride on the water taxi. A stop is located right by your hotel. It costs $10 for the day. If you take it north as far and get off at the last stop there are several restaurants there. One of my families favorites is Shooters. If you take the water taxi south you can try Beach Place which is an open air mall.

Las Olas is wonderful for walking around, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

The beach by your hotel is Fort Lauderdale Beach. Go to sunny.org for lots of information.

Have a great trip

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 12
2. Re: Family coming to FL

There is a brand newe addition to the restaurants at Galleria- PF Chang's China Grill- part of a national chain. I haven't been to that particular location, but the one in Miami has been a particular favorite with the collegians in the sorority I advise there.

Las Olas is great for walking and dining except on New Years Eve , where everything is very crowded and there are usually waits evn with the necessary reservations. There is a Cheesecake Factory there which is a favorite of mine and also of my college girls.

Your older kids may well end up at Beach Place along A1A or Downtown in the Himmarshee Village nightclub area, both of which will likely be mobbed with revelers on NYE. I am pretty certain that the City of Fort Lauderdale is as usual sponsoring a "Street Dance " just a bit east of there at the Riverfront area . It usually features kid friendly activities like bounce houses and face painting earlier inthe evening , then a few bands play as the evening wears on. If I can find some "official" about it, I'll post it here. Weather permitteing , it is usually a fun activity.

Near your hotel, besides the other ideas, you can head a block or so east toward the beach. You will pass both a Mexican and an Italian place(Frank and Vinnies, I think?). Right at the corner across from the beach is Primanti Brothers- it's a pizza joint( emphasis on joint) originaly from Pittsburgh. If you can hande the pretty junky decor, it has some of the best pizza in town and is also open for breakfast. In the little area west of that , which has some tattoo parlors and adult stores, but is not dangerous, is Cafe Bluefish, which has good casual seafood. Ther is also a great Thai place ( Thai on the Beach) whicho overlooks the Ocean. There is also a famous "beach dive" bar, The Parrot , but your kids would have to be 21 to go there, I'm pretty certain- although they do serve food, so may be able to accomodate non drinkers- It's been years so I'm not sure.

The beach down the street from your hotel is part of the miles stretch of Ft. Lauderdale's beach and should be just fine. I agree that you will all want to enjoy the Water Taxi ($10pp for an all day pass.)

I hope you'll enjoy your stay. I spent a week at Turks and Caicos ( at Club Med) and thought the beach there was gorgeous!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 12
3. Re: Family coming to FL

Here's the info about the City's "Countdown to New Years Street Party" Includes bands, fireworks and a ball drop at midnight- might be just the thing for your family!

ci.ftlaud.fl.us/events/countdown/index.htm

4. Re: Family coming to FL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, August 19, 2009