We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort LL experts on pre cruising hotels, shopping, and beach

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Fort LL experts on pre cruising hotels, shopping, and beach

A couple of questions please for 2-3 days pre cruise

1. I notice on on map FlL beach is on a peninsula like South beach in Miami....is this correct? We did this last year stayed in south beach near shops and close to beach then got a taxi to port across the bridge.

2. Reasonable priced hotel under $150 pre cruise

3. Shopping mall....not designers stores ...something like JC penny or sears and smaller boutiques

Now with my 3 questions suggestions of hotels, beach and shopping please.

Thank you in advance

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 11
1. Re: Fort LL experts on pre cruising hotels, shopping, and beach

What date are you coming? Prices fluctuate. Our beach is on a "barrier island" with fairly short bridges across the Intracoastal Waterway at various points . There are hotels both along the beach and across the bridges. You can stay near the Port across the bridge and taxi ,Sun Trolley or bus to the beach or stay on the beach and taxi to the Port ( the Sun Trolley and buses don't go into the Port.) Some hotels on the beach would arrange a per person shuttle to the Port for you for a fee, but for more than one it may cost more than the taxi shared if you are with others.

There really is no mall with JC Penny and Sears very convenient to the tourist area-There is a free standing Sears some distance from the beach , but it is small, shabby and not well stocked and I think a better choice might be Coral Ridge Mall which has Target, Old Navy, Ross, TJ Maxx and Marshalls The nearest JC Penny is north of us in Pompano and an expensive taxi ride.. Taxi to Coral Ridge Mall may cost $20 each way depending on where you stay - and that will depend on your dates as hotels can be pricey in cruise season.

Really your dates are the key to giving you any advice. There are some dates when $150 would not work at all for a clean hotel in that area due to the volume of cruisers and visitors..

Toronto, Canada
2. Re: Fort LL experts on pre cruising hotels, shopping, and beach

Thank you you for info. lulu.

The dates for cruise would be Sept 14 so would like to spend a couple of days before one to shop and one for beach. Coral Ridge Mall sounds too far...ummm what about Harbour mall how big is it......just hope to pick up shorts and shirts and tops within walking distance.

So it sounds like a good idea to stay on the mainland and then catch trolley to beach for the day does that sound doable? What hotels are close to port and shopping?

Thanks for your help

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
3. Re: Fort LL experts on pre cruising hotels, shopping, and beach

There are only one or two shops near the beach/port that might work for you- no department stores in that area. at all Ross Dress For Less has a store in the strip across 17th St from Harbor Shops and it is the biggest and best stocked of the Ross stores here in town and quite busy with cruise shoppers . I haven't been to Harbor Shops recently but they recently had a "coming soon" sign in a large empty storefront there announcing that TJ Maxx was coming - if it has opened yet I have not seen an announcement, but surely if it doesn't fall through it will be open by September - I'll check on it from time to time. I can think of no other possibilities for moderate sportswear anywhere nearby .No clothing stores that I recall in Harbor Shops except that one it is mainly restaurants , a grocery store and a liquor store-- there was rather expensive boutique but I think it closed and would not have been at your price point. It's a long time till September and maybe something else will open- but I see no sign of anything at the moment.

The most moderately priced hotels near the Port are probably Extended Stay and Hyatt Place( on SE 10th behind Harbor Shops) . There is Holiday Inn Express Convention Center right at the Port which can be pricey. The Holiday Inn Express Airport /Cruiseport is out on highway and nowhere near the Port- so don't get misled by that one. Comfort Suites at about 1800 S Federal is right off 17th St and could have rates lower than some. But I suspect that you may get sticker shock at hotel rates here- sometimes 50,000 passengers come through the Port in one weekend and the rates often reflect the supply and demand.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 79
4. Re: Fort LL experts on pre cruising hotels, shopping, and beach

We once stayed at the Best Western Oakland Park which is very close to Coral Ridge Mall and we walked to the beach. It took us around 15 minutes. The Best Western comes in quite cheap, but it is a distance from the airport and port. I like Coral Ridge Mall, I came out of Old Navy yesterday with 3 really nice T shirts for $45 - bargain.

Toronto, Canada
5. Re: Fort LL experts on pre cruising hotels, shopping, and beach

Thanks for now I have time to wait and do a little more research....lulu how far is sawmill mall from port?

Thanks for any help

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
6. Re: Fort LL experts on pre cruising hotels, shopping, and beach

My best estimate is just a bit under 20 miles- it ends up being about a $50 taxi ride each way- which may well negate the value of any bargains found there if you don't have transportation..

Toronto, Canada
7. Re: Fort LL experts on pre cruising hotels, shopping, and beach

Too far and too costly thanks......I have been reading reviews on embassy suites on 17th St. Any thoughts? Also water taxi nearby to go to Galleria Mall.

So now which would be a good beach for the day if I chose above hotel.....you mention barrier island that would be an inlet of the ocean.....is that correct? How far to the actual ocean?

Thanks

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
8. Re: Fort LL experts on pre cruising hotels, shopping, and beach

Embassy Suites is usually more expensive than the other hotels I listed- but of course is all suite and provides a breakfast.

From any hotel on 17th ST near the Port the beach /ocean is a walk down 17th ST for a few blocks over the Intracoastal Bridge ( to get you on to the island where the beach is) and then several block further. along Seabreeze ( which 17th ST becomes on the other side of the bridge. Some posters like our happy walker Harry enjoy walking it- others find it just a bit too far to walk with having to go over the slightly inclined bridge and the heat and humidity to contend with. The Sun Trolley makes the trip from 17th ST all the way to the south end of the Beach( the area near the Sheraton Beach hotel is a public park along the beach) and can be flagged down as it is a hop on hop off- and the #40 BCT bus also runs the same route and has a stop i9n front of Embassy Suites - so there are ways to get there if walking is too much.

If you use Google maps and ask to be routed walking from Embassy Suites to Sheraton Beach Hotel you can get a look at the distance.

Toronto, Canada
9. Re: Fort LL experts on pre cruising hotels, shopping, and beach

Thank you for all your help lulu I will check out other hotels on 17th. I might check in with you closer to trip.

10. Re: Fort LL experts on pre cruising hotels, shopping, and beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 12, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Fort Lauderdale