We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Launderdale Airport

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool
reviews: 20
Fort Launderdale Airport

We are thinking about taking a fly cruise and fly into Fort Lauderdale.

I have read on another forum that this airport is bad for getting through immigration and can take up to 2 hours if your are lucky. I have also been told that this airport is not very clean and the services very poor.

Can anyone provide a more informative point of view on this airport.

I will say thanks now for any responses

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 79
1. Re: Fort Launderdale Airport

It isn't dirty, it's not the best airport in the world but it is better than MIA. My guess is that you will fly out of Manchester and clear immigration at another US hub. I can't think of any airline that flys direct from either Liverpool or Manchester. Food options are fairly limited and IMO expensive. I wouldn't let it put me of my vacation.

Fort Lauderdale...
reviews: 130
2. Re: Fort Launderdale Airport

Honestly none of us can predict how your transit will go. Ft. Lauderdale is undergoing some major expansion. Yes, there are limited service options, the terminals are small and not connected. I suspect the 2 hour wait times are old news. Prepare yourself for the worst and hope for the best.

Tampa, Florida
3. Re: Fort Launderdale Airport

We came through that airport a few weeks ago .... couldn't be any smoother. While I didn't inspect it closely I couldn't find fault with its cleanliness just walking through. Any services in particular you read about that are poor?

I'll choose that airport any day over Miami airport.

Edited: 7:34 pm, December 29, 2013
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 11
4. Re: Fort Launderdale Airport

I also am not aware of any flights from the UK that clear at FLL- they generally make an intermediate stop at another US Airport for like Newark customs and arrive here as domestic. Which airline would you be flying? Customs here is usually for flights from Mexico, the Caribbean or Canada.- but perhaps there are a few exceptions . I find FLL clean and pleasant but with very few eating options- mainly fast or prepackaged food- but I know few people who ever bother to eat in the airport- it's usually not necessary here - which is probably why there are few options.

The customs delay horrors you mention are more typical of Miami airport as far as I know.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
5. Re: Fort Launderdale Airport

I will add after some thought however that on cruise return days ( most often Saturdays and Sundays ,) FLL can be difficult as folks get off their ships at early morning hours and are often deposited at FLL by the cruise lines to wait hours for later flights- and since many airlines will not take luggage more than2 -3 hrs in somewhere if you have a later flight .Perhaps other cruise lines do the same. There is also a service at FLL for storing luggage at a terminal kiosk ( Bags to Go) that I think is $6/item. ff you have a late flight, FLL advance , many folks just camp out there. surrounded by their possessions and it is even hard to find a seat on those days.. I noticed that for $20 - if I recall- Princess will handle your luggage for you so you can go would not be a great place to wait for an extended period ( but then neither would MIA).

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
reviews: 10
6. Re: Fort Launderdale Airport

I'm pretty sure that some direct flights from the UK will be starting shortly to FLL - my friend "in the business" told me that Fort Lauderdale is really going after direct flights from various parts of Europe and since there are so many UK visitors, it makes sense to pursue those flights. I'll see if I can find some additional information...

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
7. Re: Fort Launderdale Airport

Norwegian Air is starting a direct flight into FLL from the UK this July I know- they already have few flights coming in to FLL from Scandinavia- but they are a a low cost carrier ( LCC I think is the verbiage used in the Air Travel Forum. ) That means that they only have few planes of their own and no agreements with other airlines to transport their passengers if they have delays. Unfortunately they had a problem like that recently and passengers had to wait here a few days to get another plane sent in- it was bad press for them reminding many of why it is a risk to book with Spirit if you need a dependable flight. So I hope if we get more direct flights , they are with quality airlines. I was initially attracted by the low introductory fares on Norwegian and even told our DE Sue from the UK about them- now I'm not so confident about them.

8. Re: Fort Launderdale Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 02, 2015