We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It's Goodbye Hurricanes, Hello Stone Crabs!!!

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 11
It's Goodbye Hurricanes, Hello Stone Crabs!!!

While there may be a few more days in the official hurricane season, I think we can all feel safe from them till next year! Which brings to mind that a much better season began on Oct 15- Stone Crabs!!!

If you have not tried this delicacy there are several places around- and I am sure others can add to this list:

Trulucks has all you can eat on Monday nights

Catfish Deweys has all you can eat every day

Kelly's Landing usually has a special on them

Islamorada Fish and Chart House generally have them as well

Billy's Stone Crabs in Hollywood is a sure thing too.

Seafood World in Lighthouse Point both eat in and take out

The seafood counter at Publix is great place for takeout ( all stone crabs are precooked on the fishing boat- you can enjoy them hot or cold- cold is my preference). make sure the fish dept cracks them well if they are take out- as you will never be able to crack their hard shells yourself.

Mustard sauce is traditional with them- I blend mustard, mayo and lime juice at home - but the markets will sell their version too.

while they are a pricey treat, I do have to have them as often as possible- I prefer them to lobster myself!

So enjoy !! Sue, you had better get back over here before May !

Prices I am hearing in most places are $70-85 depending on claw size though I often order just an appetizer serving ( maybe 5 medium claws) which Is an inexpensive way to try them and then I have conch chowder or a salad as a side.

So , visitors have from now through May 15 eo try them- and hopefully other posters will add to my where to findlist

Washington DC...
reviews: 44
1. Re: It's Goodbye Hurricanes, Hello Stone Crabs!!!

Thanks so much for this great info! :) I will be there Thanksgiving week and can't wait.

Tampa, Florida
2. Re: It's Goodbye Hurricanes, Hello Stone Crabs!!!

Were they always so expensive? And that's with the shell .... I'll bet if you calculate the price for only the meat it will be more expensive than caviar.

Yep ... looks like we survived another H season. Shhhh! Not so loud.

Edited: 1:25 pm, November 02, 2013
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
3. Re: It's Goodbye Hurricanes, Hello Stone Crabs!!!

Would you believe we were at Islamorada Fish today and they will not be offering stone crabs this season at all because they are so expensive. Waiter said for what they cost wholesale they feel they can't charge enough to make it worthwhile.

They have definitely been up in price these last few years.

Kelly's usually has the more reasonable prices as they serve medium size claws- but if you want just a taste, that might be good place to try them for moderate cost . Takeout from the Publix is another cost saving possibility. They are usually about half the price as in a restaurant, and since they are always sold fully cooked, you can just dig in ( just make sure the market cracks them for you). Claws and a beer or margarita sitting out by the pool in my idea of a good time.

I think I can add Bimini Boatyard to the list of places who should have them, but after the news from Islamorada Fish, I'm going to have to check.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
4. Re: It's Goodbye Hurricanes, Hello Stone Crabs!!!

Coconuts and Rustic Inn are two more places place that usually have stone crabs- lets see how many places and prices we can come up with

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 9
5. Re: It's Goodbye Hurricanes, Hello Stone Crabs!!!

I don't know what you're hearing on the Atlantic Coast, Lulu, but here on the Gulf Coast it's starting off to be another dismal season -- small claws and not many of 'em. Seems the octopus population is booming, and they LOVE to eat stone crabs. Unlike us, however, they don't just harvest the larger of the claws, they eat the whole darned thing.

Selfish blighters.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 79
6. Re: It's Goodbye Hurricanes, Hello Stone Crabs!!!

Tell me that's not so!!!!!!!!! I love stone crab but haven't had any this year because I've not been in Florida at the right time:( Tell the octopi calamari!!!!!!!!

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 9
7. Re: It's Goodbye Hurricanes, Hello Stone Crabs!!!

I wish it weren't true, Sue, but I'm hearing really dismal reports from the docks in this area, and I haven't found a single claw on offer yet.

St. Pete Beach...
8. Re: It's Goodbye Hurricanes, Hello Stone Crabs!!!

Hurricane season in Florida runs until the end of November.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
9. Re: It's Goodbye Hurricanes, Hello Stone Crabs!!!

Yes it does - officially- I mentioned that in the first line of my original post- but if you listen to most local meteorologists , its not so much the date as other factors that would give us the best bet about whether a hurricane could still develop at this late date- a look at a historic graph of when and where hurricanes develop show a miniscule incidence this late in this area .( I believe Mexico has one developing as we speak). - and I feel pretty safe after listening to them in saying we can stop worrying for this year. I'd rather think about stone crabs- so if you see any reports of hurricanes coming this way, by all means alert us!

New Jersey
reviews: 33
10. Re: It's Goodbye Hurricanes, Hello Stone Crabs!!!

Lulutoo - off hand, do you have any idea how much Truluck's charges for Monday night, all you can eat stone crabs? Have you had them there? Will be in town next week, looking for quality at fair price.

Thanks