We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something special to do...

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon Tyne
Something special to do...

Can anyone suggest something special I can arrange for my boyfriend's 30th birthday on 15th September?

He is a keen golfer so I'm thinking of booking him a game in the morning but am a bit stuck for ideas.

Also any recommendations for somewhere to eat on the evening would be great, we are staying at the pillars and like mexican, indian, italian food. Would like somewhere with a good atmosphere and good food.

Thanks a lot

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 11
21. Re: Something special to do...

I did see some sort of repair work going on in front of the PIllars- it seemed to involve a few workman and no heavy equipment so didn't seem major- maybe parking lot or front entrance revisionI don't know about rental car, but I'm posting that as a separate question , hoping we get some advice from other Brits.

I do believe most courses have clubs for rent, but I would certainly inquire directly to the course to be sure. Both courses you mention are lovely- I've dined in both clubhouses- but they are too far for taxi to make sense. Maybe you would only need a car for a couple of days and could plan to do any wandering then- for a few days, Water Taxi and regular taxi as well as walking might suffice when you haven't so far to go. I did find a route for a little community "trolley" that picks up folks behind Beach place and runs all along our lovely Las Olas Blvd. It is either free or very inexpensive. I'm sure the Pillars staff will know of it.

Hopefully folks more knowledgable than I will be able to tackle your other questions! My BF's birthday is the following week and I am going nuts trying to plan it, so I can relate!

Newcastle upon Tyne
22. Re: Something special to do...

Hi guys

I think I'm finally getting somewhere!! The Pillars have finally got back to me, our reservation is fine as the building work will be over by the end of the month. I've stopped stressing about a hire car (after the very helpful post you started up Lulutoo - thanks!) am going to worry about that when I get there. Casa D'angelo is reserved. Deercreek cant take a booking for a single player until nearer the date but said it shouldnt be a problem at all. The champagne has been ordered and I'm finally feeling like I can relax! That is unless they dont get this terrorism thing and the chaos it is causing at the airports over here sorted out within the next 2 weeks!!!

Thank you so much for all your invaluable advice, I dont know how I would have managed without you! If you happen to be on the greens on 15 September let me know and I'll shout you a drink!

Newcastle upon Tyne
23. Re: Something special to do...

Forgot to say....Lulutoo - good luck with your planning! Hope it all goes well!

South Florida
reviews: 2
24. Re: Something special to do...

Hello everyone hope you don't get too upset if I put in my two cents worth. I live in Ft. Lauderdale ,love fine dining and my husband is an avid golfer.

You have recommended great restaurants. I would recommend cuisine that BB27 probably hasn't tried before.

Mark's on Las Olas is a fusion of American, Pacific Rim, and Caribbean Cuisine. It is no more expensive than any other of the recommendations and the decor isn't sterile. It is contemporary. Sterile conjures up images of very plain black and white tables and chairs. Mark's is nothing of the sort. Look on their site and you will see what I'm talking about. After dinner it is very nice to stroll along Las Olas. There are lots of shops and outdoor cafes. Mark's is extremely popular.

If you are a steak lover there is a new Capital Grill at the Galaria Mall. It is a very high end chain restaurnat that is elegant and serves excellent beef. I have not been to that particular location so I can't vouch for its kitchen. However you can't beat the location. It is a great place to sit and watch the rich come out and play. Next door there is a nightclub for the 30-50 crowd. Maybe too old for you but fun to watch. It is not uncommon to see Ferraris, Bentleys etc pull up to the door.

The Blue Moon Fish Comapany is another one of my favorites. They offer some of the best seafood dishes around. Not only is the seafood fresh but the preparation and presentation is both original and delicious. I think it is one of the best seafood restaurants in South Florida.

Regarding golf I asked my husband. Given your situation he recommends Jacaranda and Plantation Reserve. Both have just been redone. They are supposed to be great. Both are on Broward BLVD and just about two miles apart. Keep in mind that it is very hot and muggy in September. Plan your tee time accordingly. Wear shorts and a light colored shirt.

I can't help you with taxi fares because they are not often used here. Most tourists rent cars. Driving in Ft. Lauderdale is much less hectic than Miami or the UK. A car will allow you more freedom and flexibility. You may even have time to visit South Beach. Make sure you have a detailed map of Ft. Lauderdale so you don't get lost. I know you are probably concerned because of some of the aweful things that happen to tourists. Don't stop to ask for directions or get gas in bad neighborhoods. Besides, those things occur in Miami not in Ft. Lauderdale.

Good Luck

Newcastle upon Tyne
25. Re: Something special to do...

Just back from our trip and wanted to say a great big thank you to everyone who offered me advice. We had a fantastic trip, after a week trapsing the streets of NYC Fort Lauderdale was just perfect. The Pillars was everything we'd hoped and more, the service was fantastic and the hotel itself very beautiful. Our car hire went absolutely fine, we spent my boyf's birthday at Deercreek which he loved and Casa D'Angelo was lovely. Other very nice meals we had were at Casablanca Cafe and Season 52 and really enjoyed wine tasting at The Grape.

Thanks again, hope we are able to come back again one day soon!

26. Re: Something special to do...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, August 12, 2009