We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Palm Beach airport after Oasis cruise--timing?

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
reviews: 90
West Palm Beach airport after Oasis cruise--timing?

We disembark Sat, Nov. 30 (after Thanksgiving) and booked our party of 9 out of PBI on a 1:30PM flight because of the much cheaper fares. Now US airways changed the flight to 12 noon! Our plan was to hire a private van or shuttle for our whole group to pick us up at Port Everglades and drop off at PBI. What are the odds of getting to the airport on time for a 12 noon flight on a Sat. after Thanksgiving? All other flight options are a lot more expensive, would really like to make this work

Thanks.

Fort Lauderdale...
reviews: 125
1. Re: West Palm Beach airport after Oasis cruise--timing?

Entirely dependent on how quickly you can get off the boat. What time is the cruise scheduled to dock ? How soon can you get off ? Drive time from the Port to PBI is about an hour. Perhaps Cruise Critic can offer some info on getting off the boat quickly...

Im guessing you should be ok as long as you're off the boat by like 930-10am at the latest.

Edited: 11:39 am, May 17, 2013
Virginia
2. Re: West Palm Beach airport after Oasis cruise--timing?

We are on Oasis which docks pretty early, like 5AM. We can't self disembark so would hope to be in the first group with luggage tags, from what I've read that is round 7:30 AM. That is, if all goes as planned. The private van people said they could pick us up around 8AM and it would take an hour and a half, so seems like it would work. I've never used PBI but I'm assuming that the check in time and security delays would be less than a larger airport like FLL.

Fort Lauderdale...
3. Re: West Palm Beach airport after Oasis cruise--timing?

Careful, I dont assume when it comes to airports, TSA etc. Who will you be flying out on ?

Fort Lauderdale...
4. Re: West Palm Beach airport after Oasis cruise--timing?

Silly me I see now its USAir, 30mins looks like the standard time to transit their security check point. Keep an eye on the TSA wait times web page til then...not sure if the holiday will impact those times or not.

Enjoy

Virginia
5. Re: West Palm Beach airport after Oasis cruise--timing?

Thank you for your responses. Our problem has been solved! We contacted the airline and kind of complained that their schedule change was not going to work for us because of the time element. It took some discussion but they agreed to book us all on the 2:15 flight from Fort Lauderdale airport at no extra charge. Since the only reason we were willing to go to PBI was because the ticket was so much less, this really was a great outcome for us. Kudos to US Airways for working with us on that.

Fort Lauderdale...
6. Re: West Palm Beach airport after Oasis cruise--timing?

Glad to hear it! Now would you call Alaska Airlines for me and have them rebook my son? They moved his sisters flight UP two hours...

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 11
7. Re: West Palm Beach airport after Oasis cruise--timing?

I'm glad you're choosing a cautionary approach- on our cruise in January, we arrived in Port Everglades at 6 am but not one person was allowed off till about 8:30 because one person's paperwork had apparently gone missing from what the ship had to submit and then we had almost an hour wait through immigration ( and we are citizens). We did not get home here till after 9:30, so some people may have missed flights. You never can tell what will happen as far as disembarking. Most cruise lines tell passengers not to book any flights before 11:30 for FLL Airport and even later for MIA or PBI to be safe - because if you miss it, the airline has no obligation to you and you could end up with a long wait and a big full fare charge.

Edited: 5:38 pm, May 17, 2013
8. Re: West Palm Beach airport after Oasis cruise--timing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 19, 2014