We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viscay Hotel (Miami) or Great Escape Inn (Ft. Lauderdale)

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
La Mesa, California
reviews: 16
Viscay Hotel (Miami) or Great Escape Inn (Ft. Lauderdale)

We have a couple of days (1 night) to spend at either hotel after our Cruise from Port Everglades. Since it would be the beginning of Easter Week, we are wondering if it would be better to stay at The Great Escape in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea (cheaper & free parking). The Viscay is in South Beach, where we definitely want to visit, but we could do that in a drive. I know I'm sweating the small stuff, but suggestions would be appreciated. Any tips for restaurants would be great too!

Fort Lauderdale...
reviews: 125
1. Re: Viscay Hotel (Miami) or Great Escape Inn (Ft. Lauderdale)

Will you have a car ?

La Mesa, California
2. Re: Viscay Hotel (Miami) or Great Escape Inn (Ft. Lauderdale)

YES we will rent a car. Thanks for mentioning that.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 78
3. Re: Viscay Hotel (Miami) or Great Escape Inn (Ft. Lauderdale)

I guess you wouldn't have mentioned free parking if you weren't having a car. IMO South Beach is way more exciting than Lauderdale by the Sea and if you plan to go there anyway, I think I'd stay there. But, I suppose it depends on the difference in price hotel wise. Valet parking at hotels in Miami is expensive, that's why we don't stay there any more, and obviously that has to be factored into the hotel price and of course tipping the valet park guys. Parking in South Beach if you are just visiting is fairly simple if you steer clear of Ocean Drive and park on Washington or one of the other streets back from the beach, it's metered but not excessively expensive IMO, $1.75 an hour springs to mind but I could be wrong. There are parking lots too but I couldn't say which is the cheapest. I'm sure the helpful folk on the Miami Beach forum could put you right on that one. It depends on what you want to do or see in South Beach, obviously. I don't feel like I've really been much help on this one. These days we always stay in Fort Lauderdale which is morelively that Lauderdale by the Sea but we always visit South Beach for a day trip, so our circumstances are different to yours. I hope you have a great time whatever you decide to do.

La Mesa, California
4. Re: Viscay Hotel (Miami) or Great Escape Inn (Ft. Lauderdale)

Suewick, thank you for posting. I made reservations with both hotels and have yet to cancel one. I thought we might drive by Lauderdale by the Sea the week before our scheduled stay and decide if it looks worth coming back to after our cruise. We are most likely going to choose Miami instead thanks to your posting.

La Mesa, California
5. Re: Viscay Hotel (Miami) or Great Escape Inn (Ft. Lauderdale)

Thought I'd update my post, as we did end up staying at the Great Escape Inn, Lauderdale by the Sea. It was totally charming, and just a 2 minute walk to the beach. Front desk was friendly and efficient. We also visited Miami and checked out the Viscay, which we thought looked very appealing. South Beach was very hip & fun, so the Viscay would have been a great place to stay had we decided to spend the night there. Both places are great choices for a visit to Ft. Lauderdale/Miami.

6. Re: Viscay Hotel (Miami) or Great Escape Inn (Ft. Lauderdale)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, April 15, 2014