We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel - Choosing between Marriott and Sheraton

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisiana
reviews: 34
Hotel - Choosing between Marriott and Sheraton

Hello:

We're coming to FL for King Tut over New Years. I've booked the Yankee Trader at an extremely reduced rate for the first two nights and would like to stay in a better, resort type, hotel for the remainder of the trip. Trying to decide between the Marriott Harbor Beach and the Sheraton Bal Harbour. We're not renting a car, yet don't want to be at the mercy of a hotel's overpriced restaurants etc. That also means taking taxi from one hotel to the other and back to the airport. Suggestions?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 11
1. Re: Hotel - Choosing between Marriott and Sheraton

Are you flying into and out of Lauderdale? The Bal Harbour is quite a drive from Lauderdale- actually down in Miami Beach- a taxi from Lauderdale to there would be quite costly. If you do stay at Harbor Beach you would probably have to dine in their restaurants unless you were willing to pay for a short taxi ride to nearby restaurants. If you are flying into and out of Lauderdale and seeing King Tut- it would seem that all your activities are centered in Lauderdale making the Sheraton a real out of the way choice.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
2. Re: Hotel - Choosing between Marriott and Sheraton

Have you looked at all at the reviews for the Westin Diplomat Resort in Hallandale? While there is lots of construction happening in that area, it doesn't seem to be bothering the guests. It seems to get much better reviews than the Bal Harbor Sheraton on this site ( definitely suggest you read those). Would be somewhat closer to the Lauderdale Airport for you. I do think though that you would use the same amount of money going by taxi toFLL airport from the Sheraton, if not more, than you would using the taxi to get to a restuarant area like Las Olas Blvd. from the Harbor Beach Marriott. And, while the Marriott's 3030 Restaurant is really pricey , most people consider it one of the best seafood restaurants they have tried- and there is a Starbucks for a quick less pricey breakfast. Bottom line for me would be Marriott Harbor Beach, with brief taxis as need for alternative dining on Las Olas, 17th Street or A1A.

reviews: 110
3. Re: Hotel - Choosing between Marriott and Sheraton

Gee...If they had picked the Sheraton Yankee Clipper, they could have walked to the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort next to it.

I also feel the Marriott Harbor Beach is super. The Westin Diplomat beachfront is excellent...but has one slight problem. They will not guarantee beach access on the beach side of the hotel. (Sometimes the sand is to low, and the ocean is hitting the back sea wall.

But it does have a golf course.

Louisiana
reviews: 34
4. Re: Hotel - Choosing between Marriott and Sheraton

Thanks to you both. We are using the FLL airport. LuLu you're making me think that the Marriott would be the most convenient choice. I didn't realize Bal Harbour was so far from Lauderdale. I'll look at the Westin's reviews on this site also. Can't I use the water taxi from the Marriott to get around? Maybe I'm making too big a deal out of it and should just stay at the Y Trader the entire stay. I just wanted a couple of days of upscale pampering.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
5. Re: Hotel - Choosing between Marriott and Sheraton

I'm back! If you can afford it, I think you are correct in looking forward to he Marriott- it's definitely got more ambiance than the Trader- which while nice is right in the middle of the A1A strip- Marriott Harbor Beach is secluded and much more relaxing. The Water Taxi doesn't stop directly at the Marriott- it only runs on the canals- I am pretty sure the closest stop is a short walk away at the bar of the Bahia Cabana Days Inn-a cute rustic little spot which is a fun place for Rum Runners and conch fritters. I'm sure if I'm wrong about that being closest the Marriott Concierge will advise you. I did not know that the Westin had the beach problems another poster alluded to- so you may want to investigate the reviews on it.

reviews: 29
6. Re: Hotel - Choosing between Marriott and Sheraton

I love both the Harbor Beach Marriott and the Sheraton Bal Harbour - I think that there is more to do in Bal Harbour...The trip from FLL to Mia is not bad at all so good luck either way you'll be happy! I think Sheraton AAA rate is MUCH lower than the rate at the Harbor Beach