We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do with kids (when on a budget) in Fort Lauderdale

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 28
Things to do with kids (when on a budget) in Fort Lauderdale

Hi All

I'm staying in Fort Lauderdale from this Monday (can't wait)

Im coming with my family thier are 5 kids in total (all adged 12 and under)

Are their any free or cheap activities I can take them to?

I will be going to the beach, and swap shop. I also would like to do a boat tour, but not sure of prices. Can anyone else tell me more about this alligator park or is this the Zoo?

Any tips or recommendations would be greatfully appreicated.

Thanks in advance

florida
reviews: 16
1. Re: Things to do with kids (when on a budget) in Fort Lauderdale

Hi,

I can't comment on the Alligator park as I have never been,

but I would tell you to steer clear of the Museum of Discovery and Science that is downtown.

It has gotten really really expensive and a lot of the interactive exhibits are usually broken or not staffed meaning they can't be used.

It used to be great- lots of volunteers eager to help and teach- we couldn't find an employee last time we were there.

Sunrise, FL
reviews: 95
2. Re: Things to do with kids (when on a budget) in Fort Lauderdale

I am assuming you mean Everglades Park when you talk about "Alligator Park." It is all the way out west and can be quite hot and buggy during this time of year through summer. Currently the weather down here has been extremely hot and there have been some brush fires out that way so if your children, or you, have breathing problems I would not recommend it. However, it is a great time and if you have never gone on an airboat, they are quite fun. Besides the fact that you are "in" nature and the wildlife is abundant.

As for cheap/inexpensive things to do besides the beach there are malls and scenic drives (i.e. South Beach, Las Olas, etc.). Also most places down here take AAA, so if you have it you might want to look into that.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 11
3. Re: Things to do with kids (when on a budget) in Fort Lauderdale

You may want to go to www.sunny.org , our tourist board's site, and look in a section called "just for kids." Lots of good ideas there- there are also some coupons on that site for buy one get one free for some attractions this summer.

Try www.gumbolimbo.org- a local nature center just north of town ( in Boca Raton). It's a great spot for kids.

There's also a site called South Florida Parenting , but I want to be check and see if I have the correct URL for it- has lots of information and discounts for kid friendly attractions. I'll post again if I can verify it and if it seems up to date. I haven't looked at it in some time.

London
reviews: 28
4. Re: Things to do with kids (when on a budget) in Fort Lauderdale

Thank you for you tips. I will check them out tomorrow. I'm tired. Its nearly midnight here. Thank you again.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
5. Re: Things to do with kids (when on a budget) in Fort Lauderdale

southflorida.com/sfparenting/sfe-sfp_familyo…

is the Parenting site with lots of "family outing" ideas like local Water Parks owned by the Parks Dept. I've driven by some of them and they look like lots of fun!

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
reviews: 10
6. Re: Things to do with kids (when on a budget) in Fort Lauderdale

check out the summer of discovery (I think that's what it's called) on sunny.org. There's lots of two for one type things on the website!

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
7. Re: Things to do with kids (when on a budget) in Fort Lauderdale

I just went to sunny.org and saw a link to "two for one" things but I wasn't able to pull it up. I would suggest trying to do it as I was told there are really great deals there.......

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 79
8. Re: Things to do with kids (when on a budget) in Fort Lauderdale

There is a really good post from one of the regular posters DaPotcake entitled - Trip report * affordable stuff to do with young kids. I can't post the link because it is too long and my work computer won't let me do a "tiny URL" the IT nerds have locked it. If you put the title in the forum search box it should come up.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
9. Re: Things to do with kids (when on a budget) in Fort Lauderdale

Let me see if this works- if not I'll make it a tiny URL- I remember that poster- the kids had lots of activities at low prices!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34227-i98-k136237…

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
10. Re: Things to do with kids (when on a budget) in Fort Lauderdale

Wow Lulu - glad you found that post from DePotCake - I think I'm going to have to borrow some kids so I can go do all those things!!

Get answers to your questions about Fort Lauderdale