We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

disable permit in my country valid in Miami/Keys ... ?

Which Florida City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Essen, Belgium
reviews: 37
disable permit in my country valid in Miami/Keys ... ?

Good afternoon,

at first a very happy new year to all of you !

My husband and I will visit Florida within 2 weeks, after being ill for a while we are thrilled to go on vacation again.

Now my dh rented a car and we intend to stay at different places partly Miami / keys / Fort Lauderdale ...

I have a disability and therefore also a parking card ( blue with wheelchair on it, my id on the back )for disabled people valid in all Europe and I try to find out if we can use this card also in Florida or should we apply for something ?

Just called the American Embassy but they are not available so I hope someone can help me out I have tried to read everything I could find but still have not find out what the easiest way is.

We leave shortly and would not want to get a parking ticket for standing in a zone for disabled people without a valid US permit.

I would like to thank you for your time to help me out.

Have a wonderful day

10 replies to this topic
Orlando
reviews: 2
1. Re: disable permit in my country valid in Miami/Keys ... ?

I have seen some discussions about this in the Orlando forum before. My understanding of the answer to your question is, no. You need to contact one of the county tax collectors in Florida to get a temp disabled permit. Ft Lauderdale is Broward County, Miami is Miami Dade County, anywhere in the Keys is Monroe County. Pick any one.

Essen, Belgium
2. Re: disable permit in my country valid in Miami/Keys ... ?

thank you surffishFLA I will try to contact Miami Dade tax collector send them a mail and hope they can help me, have a wonderful day, regards, Frieda

Weert, The...
3. Re: disable permit in my country valid in Miami/Keys ... ?

I would like to know if you found the answer. I have the same question.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Clearwater
reviews: 83
4. Re: disable permit in my country valid in Miami/Keys ... ?

I have contacted the Florida DMV and asked them that same question. I was told it depends on whether there is a reciprocal handicapped parking agreement between your country and Florida. I was told Canadian handicapped parking placards are legal in Florida but anyone from the UK needs to apply for and display a temporary Florida placard. I don't know how the law applies to your countries.

If you want to read the law it is stated here:

…laws.com/florida/…316_1958

There are email addresses for the Florida DMV on the link provided, so you can email and ask if you can use your placard in Florida. I received an answer in three days.

Edited: 4:47 pm, February 12, 2014
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Clearwater
reviews: 83
5. Re: disable permit in my country valid in Miami/Keys ... ?

I'm sorry, the link I provided didn't work for email addresses. If you try this link, you can click on the county, and direct your email to the county you will be visiting. http://www.dmvflorida.org/dmv-offices.shtml

Essen, Belgium
6. Re: disable permit in my country valid in Miami/Keys ... ?

Thanks for your reply, but we are already back and did not have any problems related to the permit

But again, thanks for yor time to answer my question

Have a wonderful d a y

Weert, The...
7. Re: disable permit in my country valid in Miami/Keys ... ?

Thank you for the information!!

Essen, Belgium
8. Re: disable permit in my country valid in Miami/Keys ... ?

everyone, thank you all for helping me providing links

I did wrote emails and got several back in which they all said that our permit was valid

I printed the emails and placed next to the permit in the car, think that is also a good back up plan

so yes our European permit was valid in Florida so we did not have any problems

wish everyone a fine day

from Belgium

Frieda

Edited: 8:06 am, February 13, 2014
Miami, Florida
reviews: 30
9. Re: disable permit in my country valid in Miami/Keys ... ?

I'm not sure I can speak generally but for your permit would definitely be considered valid at our hotel, Fairway Inn, in Florida City, Florida.

-Shaun

Essen, Belgium
10. Re: disable permit in my country valid in Miami/Keys ... ?

to close this topic, we had a great time and we did not have any problems regarding our permit

have a wonderful day

Reply to: disable permit in my country valid in Miami/Keys ... ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted