We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a safety city or?

Which Florida City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Helsinki, Finland
Is this a safety city or?

Hello!

We would like to spend 2 nights in florida city. We would like to know is it a safety place? Family friendly?

Thanks!

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
reviews: 80
1. Re: Is this a safety city or?

Are you staying there to access the Everglades? Its really only good for that. Its about 2 or 3 motels, a couple restaurants, a bar, some gas stations and a small outlet mall is nearby. If you are visiting the Everglades for more than a day if would be fine its just not near anything else. Personally I would stay in Miami or Key Largo but thats just my opinion. Others seem to be fine with staying there for one night.

Helsinki, Finland
2. Re: Is this a safety city or?

Thaks for your answer. And yes, we are planning to stay there after the day in everglades, and after the first night we are planning to drive to key west and back. After the second night we are going to miami. Or does somebody has some better options in mind for us?

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
3. Re: Is this a safety city or?

If you get done early enough in the Everglades I would head to Key Largo for the night. It's a long drive to Key West from Florida City and why not start your Keys time a little early. I would not drive there if its dark but if you have daylight I would definitely travel further. Better places to eat as well as if early enough you will have a beautiful sunset to watch. Its several hours to Key West just to turn around and leave. I would overnite there, you can easily drive back to Miami the next day. Look at www.mapquest.com to see mileage and approx drive times. Keep in mind speed limits in the keys can be very low in places, some places like Deer Key are only 35mph.

Selma, Alabama
reviews: 2
4. Re: Is this a safety city or?

Just in case anyone else reads this and is curious, I would NOT recommend even stopping in Florida City. We stopped at the WalMart to get a fishing license. In 10 mins, our rental car had been broken into and all our luggage stolen. The FC police officer said this happens DAILY because this city is a gateway to the Keys. I wish someone had warned us!

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
5. Re: Is this a safety city or?

I have never cared for Florida City and would not stay there. I have always called it a Gas & Go as thats what we do, stop for gas and keep going. I am not a fan of Wal-Mart either so have never stopped at the one in Florida City, we prefer to wait until Key Largo or Marathon and go to Publix for groceries and K-Mart for any other items.

Tavelmama, iI am sorry that you had a problem, however f you would have read some previous posts you would have seen you can purchase a fishing license at many places in the keys or even online. I have not seen any posts stating anyone having problems at Wal-Mart and I believe many other posters recommend it as a stop.

6. Re: Is this a safety city or?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 27, 2013