We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Its Done!

Which Fernandina Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Albany, New York
reviews: 29
Its Done!

Well, I have booked a rental house for a first ever visit to Amelia Island this July. I am now hoping I dont regret my decision!! The check has already been sent and of course this is when all of the doubts come up!! " Is this really a place we want to visit?" , "will the house look as it does on line?", "will we be bored to death in the area??",......AHHHHHH what have I done??? ...LOL sorry, its just something I had to get out since I sent the check off to the realtor. I am sure we will enjoy the area.....it is just not a regualr vacation for us,we are a bit more adventurous than this type of vacation. If anyone has any first hand knowledge of the house....(good or bad..I want to know!!) its called A Good Knights Rest, and there was only 1 review of it....which really scared me a little because from photos it looked like a great home.....it is at the northern end I believe, on Ocean ave. Thanks for letting me rant!!!

Amelia Island...
reviews: 44
1. Re: Its Done!

We stay and rent a home on the beach every fall for a month. I can't seem to find your rental online, but we love our home. There is plenty to do if you enjoy the water and history. There is Kayaking, paddle boarding, fishing, and of course, our favorite, eating. There are more than 40 restaurants in the area and the historic district has many of the best. My husband loves to golf, so that is another option. Fort Clinch is an interesting piece of history and they have tour guides that dress the part and stay in character for the entire tour. But best of all, is the beaches. We see dolphins all the time and plenty of sea shells. It is never very crowded and always a nice day to just relax. You also can bike anywhere or go horseback riding on the beach. Hope this eases your mind and just have fun!!!

Albany, New York
2. Re: Its Done!

Thank you....it really does!! Now that i have looked up some more about the area, and places that are easily accessible from there, I am very excited to see it for myself!! I am a lover of the water and also an avid shell hunter!! ( I adore sea glass as well, but thats another story!!) anyway, thank you for your reply, i am just crossing my fingers about the rental home!!!

Amelia Island...
3. Re: Its Done!

If you love sea glass, I have the place for you. We were Ischia, Italy 3 years ago and there is so much sea glass, (Red, Blue Green, Gold) all over. We were picking up so much, we didn't have a container big enough. We also found sea washed pottery and tiles broken, but very sea washed and smooth.

Back to Fernandina Beach or Amelia Island, you will have to look for fossilized shark teeth. They are black and over millions of years old. We always make a game out of it to see who can find the most in a day.

Hope you enjoy your visit. July can be pretty hot, but still nice with sea breezes.

Albany, New York
4. Re: Its Done!

OMG i would be in heaven over the sea glass and pottery!!!! I have quite a bit already from the caribbean and mexico! About the sharks teeth....is there a certain spot where you are more likely to find them?? That would be something I would love to do!!!

Amelia Island...
5. Re: Its Done!

You look just where the waves recede back into the ocean. We stay on South Fletcher Street and have had great success every year. A few years ago they dredged and sharks teeth (1 inch to 3 inches) were found. the largest one we have ever found is about 1 inch. Any local can show you how to look for them and probably will find a few while helping you. Good luck...it is addicting.

Albany, New York
6. Re: Its Done!

I am very excited now!!!! LOL...I will let u know if I have any luck!!!

7. Re: Its Done!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 29, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Fernandina Beach