We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best options from JAX airport

Which Fernandina Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
reviews: 10
Best options from JAX airport

From what I've read, it seems that Jacksonville is the closest airport to Amelia Island - is that correct? If so, what's the best way to get from the airport to the island? Will a cab be very expensive?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Brandon, Florida
reviews: 1
1. Re: Best options from JAX airport

My Google Gods found this:

http://www.relaxride.com/

Give them a call for rates.

There is an airport on Amelia Island but it might only be for light aircraft. So, yes, Jacksonville is the closest.

Edited: 12:48 pm, May 27, 2010
michigan
reviews: 8
2. Re: Best options from JAX airport

JAX is the serving airport for commercial air traffic. Depending on where you will stay, your needs, and length of stay once you're on the Island, you may want to consider renting a car. All the major rental companies are at JAX and reasonable prices for small cars can be more cost effective than taxis.

Amelia Island...
reviews: 12
3. Re: Best options from JAX airport

JAX is the closest commercial airport. The airport on the island is for smaller, private aircraft. A taxi will be around $55. You should consider renting a car in order to have the flexibility to fully explore the island.

Enjoy your visit!

Amelia Island...
reviews: 11
4. Re: Best options from JAX airport

There is another airport I sometimes check rates on because on a rare chance the flights sometimes come up cheaper. It's in Brunswick, GA (airport code is BQK) and most people don't realize it's there. Delta is the only commercial airline that flies in there. It's about 1 hour from Amelia Island so not as close as JAX but still it's always good to have extra options to check on pricing. Most people have no clue that Brunswick has an airport with commercial flights, so I like to spread the word.

A cab would surely be quite expensive from BQK to the island, so I would recommend a rental car. Even if you fly into JAX a rental car may still be a good option because then you can get around the island at more of your convenience and parking almost everywhere is free.

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
reviews: 120
5. Re: Best options from JAX airport

Definately go on the travel consolidator websites (Travelocity, Expedia, etc.) and check out rental car rates. FL is known for its cheap rental car rates and Jacksonville airport is no exception. Be sure to get the all inclusive price including all the airport concession fees, taxes, surcharges, etc. I have found generally that companies like Payless & Enterprise will be substantially lower than the others. And check your own car insurance coverage to avoid the astronomical rental car insurance premiums which they try to sell you as they are such huge money makers. You certainly won't need a GPS as to get from JAX to Amelia Island you only have 2 turns!

Fernandina Beach
6. Re: Best options from JAX airport

You can get to Amelia Island from the airport using Amelia Airport Shuttle for a flat rate of $47 for the vehicle. They drive nice vans that can carry up to 6 people for the one price.Their website is http//.www.ameliaislandtransportation.com. You can call them or make a reservation online. They also do local transportation on and around the island.

Edited: 6:28 pm, October 24, 2010
USA
reviews: 10
7. Re: Best options from JAX airport

Thank you, that's very helpful. :)

8. Re: Best options from JAX airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:58 am, June 01, 2011