We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red tide on Manasota Key

Which Englewood hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 4
Red tide on Manasota Key

Anybody there on Manasota Key seen the effects of this new bloom of Red Tide? We had a terrible time with Red Tide a few years ago on Sanibel Island. Family members got terribly sick (they have pre-existing breathing problems) and the beaches stunk of dead fish and piles of nasty seaweed. The shelling was dismal since most of the sand was covered with dead, smelly stuff. If I remember correctly, that Red Tide lasted several weeks Months?), and had a long-lasting effect on the beaches and wildlife. I doubt if the conditions are that bad yet, but want to cancel our Dec 1-8 trip if things continue to worsen. I understand that Nature is unpredictable.

Falmouth...
reviews: 1
11. Re: Red tide on Manasota Key

Will be there from Nov 3rd to 10th hope all clear by then...

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
reviews: 22
12. Re: Red tide on Manasota Key

Me too.

Check out the latest survey (think it went down from high to Med at Blind pass) but more important next Fridays tests on the links above. Hopefully it will continue to improve and if it doesn't you can choose less/non affected beaches.

Columbia, Missouri
reviews: 8
13. Re: Red tide on Manasota Key

Will be there over New Years Eve. Any updates?

Concord, Ohio
reviews: 30
14. Re: Red tide on Manasota Key

We are on Manasota right now and there is no evidence of red tide at Stump Pass Beach or in front of our condo complex (which is located about 1/2 mile north of the round-a-bout). We haven't been to other locations on the Key yet, but I'm assuming that those beaches are clear also.

Last year when we were here in October there were dead fish all over the beaches and we couldn't breathe without coughing!

By the way, besides being free of red tide, the beaches are empty (just the way we like 'em!!!)

Have a great trip!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
reviews: 22
15. Re: Red tide on Manasota Key

I have been here for 2 weeks now., Have visited 3 of 4 MK beaches (stump pass, englewood and Blind Pass) and no sign of red tide.

I have also visted beaches on AMI, and Key west- again no red tide.

I haven't been to Gasparilla island and the latest myfwc status reports said they had medium (high enough for fish kills) and there is high on Cayo Costa.

New York
reviews: 4
16. Re: Red tide on Manasota Key

Thank you so much for the updates. As with anything related to nature - what wil be, will be...but it's looking good for our upcoming visit. Less than 2 weeks - I'm so excited.

Ottershaw, United...
reviews: 1
17. Re: Red tide on Manasota Key

We have just returned from Rotonda West and visited South Beach on Gasparilla and no Red tide in sight or in my nose, perfect.

Stump was clear too.

Have fun.

Lynne

18. Re: Red tide on Manasota Key

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 22, 2013