We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving Question

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 54
Diving Question

We are coming to Destin next year for a family vacation in May. I am thinking I need to slip out a day or two to go diving. Most of the diving I have done has been in the Carribean, mostly Cozumel. I have been going through old posts on here and scubaboard and have found mixed feelings on the diving in the Destin area. I have found a few ops in Destin, most commonly mentioned was ScubaTech, any opinions on them? Or should I maybe just look at doing some rec diving in Pensacola and just go one time?

Thanks,

Brian

Edited: 9:18 am, July 23, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
reviews: 5
1. Re: Diving Question

If ScubaGirl77 does not see your message and reply then send her a private message. She can fill you in on diving in Destin. You might like to read her recent trip report on the Ft. Walton forum also.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
reviews: 77
2. Re: Diving Question

There's this post from a while back

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g34182-i111-k512…

I've yet to dive in Destin though I've done a fair bit in Fl and some in the gulf. Two things to be aware of are that you usually have to pay extra for a guide and the viz can be poor in the gulf. It's good diving, but unlike the Carribean or the Keys.

Chicago, Illinois
3. Re: Diving Question

Thanks Texas, I found her report and asked a question on that thread as well. Thanks as well gOakc, I am going solo and I was seeing that about an extra charge for guides or private DMs. I knew the viz isn't going to be great, just trying to determine if the limited coral structures near Destin are worth it, or if I should try going to the wrecks (Oriskany) near Pensacola. I would prefer to stay closer to Destin to dive, but if the difference is that great I will drive the hour or so to find better diving.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
4. Re: Diving Question

Hawkfish is another with good info about diving. There are also wrecks in Panama City - or maybe for a change you might want to hit a spring or two in north Walton or Bay County.

Tennessee
reviews: 4
5. Re: Diving Question

" I am going solo and I was seeing that about an extra charge for guides or private DMs. I knew the viz isn't going to be great," Many people choose to pay extra to have a DM, but we have been diving since 1977 and are very comfortable with just the two of us. Nancy, if you go with Scubatech, can pair you up with another diver or two. Many times a solo diver is placed with my husband and myself. We have had 50+ feet of visibility out of Destin, but weeks before last it was more like 20-25 with the surface water being very murky. We learned to dive at Greers Ferry Lake in Heber Springs AR when 8-10 feet visibility was a good day!! We will take Destin anytime!! It is not the Caribbean and divers need to realize that. I have seen some divers, who have never dove the gulf pop back up immediately after getting to the anchor line and climb back aboard the boat because they had only dove in crystal clear water. You will also be diving deeper in the Gulf as opposed to the Caribbean, or that has been my experience. Have fun!! Returning 5 weeks from yesterday for another week of diving!!

Chicago, Illinois
6. Re: Diving Question

Thanks for the added info. I have dove in the quarries around northern Illinois, which has viz that can make seeing your foot a challenge. I wasn't sure if the diving was more charter oriented like it sounds or if it was guided like many Caribbean locations. Again thank you for the responses, I always look forward to diving somewhere new.

7. Re: Diving Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 26, 2014