We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

most accurate weather forecast

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newburgh, Indiana
most accurate weather forecast

Hello! Hubby and I are planning our second stay at Tops'l Beach Manor April 13-20, where we stayed last year. We have some flexibility with the company we are renting through on dates, up unitl final payment on April 9th. I realize it's a bit too far out, but all of the online weather forecasts I have been checking (Wunderground, Intellicast, Weather.com, Accuweather) change daily and are quite varied. Does anyone have a strong opinion on who has the best forecast (possibly a local station) that I can keep tabs on. I realize rain comes and goes in the panhandle pretty quickly, but would rather not invest a week I can switch, in a week of really awful weather. Thanks, Lynn

Colmar, Pennsylvania
reviews: 2
1. Re: most accurate weather forecast

Based on what you wrote, it's no better that playing poker in Las Vegas. Look at all the forcasts, see how many agree, throw out the extremes, and throw the dice. Then go enjoy yourself no matter what the weather.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
reviews: 3
2. Re: most accurate weather forecast

Unless there is an obvious tropical depression (which would be unlikely in April), I don't think you can count on the forecast more than just a few days out.

I was in SoWal for spring break 3 weeks ago. We arrived to beautiful weather on Saturday, checked the forecast on Accuweather & TWC at bedtime and saw 7 days of sun, low-mid 70s. Woke up Sunday to all-day rain, the rest of the week was a mixed bag and the temperature only got over 70 once. My daughter, 2 weeks later, had almost the opposite weather, it looked to be horrid and turned out OK. You just never know.

Saint Louis...
reviews: 5
3. Re: most accurate weather forecast

I use the National Weather Service so I would bookmark this link for Destin:

forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php…

On the right side is a graphical link to the local Radar and an image of the satellite view.

This page shows where Tropical Storms including Hurricanes are but you won't have to worry about that in April:

www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo_atl.shtml#contents

I'm a student pilot and weather is very important for flying. This site basically takes the raw data used by the National Weather Service and puts it into a more graphical format:

www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi…

One thing to point out on this site is that a cloud base of 12,000 or above may mean clear sky, so you want to look at the top of the graphic where it gives the sky condition first then look to see how high the clouds are. For your purpose you probably don't need to know the cloud base though (cloud base is the lowest level of 5/8 or greater coverage of clouds).

You should also understand that general weather condition prediction is usually pretty good for about 48 hours then tends to drop off so between the 9th and 13th the forecast can be totally different.

Edited: 10:11 am, April 05, 2013
Newburgh, Indiana
4. Re: most accurate weather forecast

Wow! That is a ton of info....thanks! Amazing to me with all the technology we have that weather is still so unpredictable! Thanks again for the reply and info ~lynn

Newburgh, Indiana
5. Re: most accurate weather forecast

Hey nashpam - that's really strange about your weather experience - we were down last April and were spoiled with great weather and pretty accurate forecasting....thanks for the reply ~Lynn

Newburgh, Indiana
6. Re: most accurate weather forecast

Hey John - thanks for reply - you are right - enjoy the days away, regardless.....thanks for reply ~ Lynn

St. Paul
7. Re: most accurate weather forecast

I would just go as late as possible as the water should just keep getting warmer and it's just a crapshoot as far as the weather is concerned. We do a ton of traveling and I always start looking ten days out and the weather is never ever the temperature it says when we actually arrive. I tend to notice that the most accurate weather is usually done by a local television station because a person usually overseas the forecast as opposed to computer only for the main online weather sites.

Newburgh, Indiana
8. Re: most accurate weather forecast

lovemachine - thanks for reply. We try to avoid spring break (we are empty nesters) and the higher prices that come along in May....last year we had great weather in mid April, our friends who went down in early May had colder temps....so it is a crapshoot to a degree. I do think you're right about the local weather - will try t find a local channel t add to my list of sites...thanks! Lynn

Columbia, Missouri
reviews: 4
9. Re: most accurate weather forecast

If you are on facebook like this meteorologist from Panama City. Meteorologist Jim Loznicka. He gives updates and radar pictures all day long so you can tract incoming storms on your smartphone if you have one while you are on the beach.

Wisconsin
reviews: 141
10. Re: most accurate weather forecast

One real positive about Destin is that often the rain in spring stay north of I-10 or so. Many vacations they'd predict rain and it would just skirt the area about 10-20 miles north. My husband finally learned to stop cancelling his golf matches because of a rain prediction. The gulf breezes must tend to shift things north. We also have seldom had an all day rain in April. There'll be some downpours, but then clear out a bit later. It seems like the whole US is finally starting to warm up. Yes, last year's April was wonderful.