We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pelican beach resort

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Near Nashville
Pelican beach resort

Could anyone tell me of some "attractions" and good restaurants wintin walking distance from the Pelican Beach? I will be going there May 23. We have never been so any good tips/ideas would be great.

Nashville, TN
reviews: 1
1. Re: Pelican beach resort

I'll try this, but walking distance can mean different things to different people. LOL

If you go to the front of the resort, walk to the right on 98 and you will eventually come to the light across from the putt-putt and race track park. Stay to you right as it bears off towards the beach. There are several restaurants just a ways down the street on your right. A very popular one is the Back Porch.

It is open for lunch and dinner. Very causual, alot of people come in off the beach in swimsuits and flip flops for lunch as it is right on the beach. Large open air windows overlooking the beach with a back entrance from the beach. Still vacation casual for dinner. The beach is lit up at night there and they have a small childrens playground on the beach for those wait times. Food is good and frozen drinks are great. There is also an Italian restaurant on the left. Never been to it. Dressy casual though I think.

There is a small water park on the other side of Hwy. 98 . Several blocks from the Pelican. Several shopping areas in walking distance.

If you turn left out of Pelican, walk down to Harbor Docks. It is open for L & D. Great fresh seafood. The boats unload the fresh catch there everyday and you can even go down to watch them. Alot of people with kids enjoy doing that. It is on the bay and we have seen dolphins swimming there several times while eating on the deck. They are one of Destin's oldest eateries if not the oldest. Very popular and always a wait unless you go very early. The lunch prices there are unbeatable for fresh seafood and shorter wait if any.

Destin has alot of great restaurants. Hope you can make it to some others as well. Will you have a car?

Franklin, Tennessee
reviews: 11
2. Re: Pelican beach resort

Jsut got back a few hours ago from my first stay at Pelican Beach. Back Porch as a previous post said is real close as well as the Grazi's Italian restaurant. You can walk there using the beach as well. A little further away are the La Rocco, Landry's, and Joe's Crab Shacks but those may not hit you in the facwe with local "flavor". The harbor docks area is an option.

Based on the date of your stay you may be able to get away with short drives, I do not think traffic will be a hair puller then. I really endorse Captain Dave's on Miramar Beach.

I live just south of you in Franklin. I recommend you look at old posts for directions from Cool Springs. It was amazing how much time I saved driving there.

Near Nashville
3. Re: Pelican beach resort

Thank you for all the info. I have seen a lot on here about the "back porch", and we plan on going there.

Yes, we do have a car that we will drive there is, but we really preferred to walk around because of traffic & the exercise. :)

Thank you again, I'll look for the directions from cool springs in a older posts as well.

IL
4. Re: Pelican beach resort

Well, Back Porch is a pretty good hike from pelican beach, But, by the time you get there, you'll be hungry. Ditto Gratzi's. Pelican shouldn't be crowded then. In March, they were stacked 6-8 deep on the beach!

Airdrie, United...
reviews: 24
5. Re: Pelican beach resort

Hi..we are lucky enough to be going to the Pelican for 4 nights post cruise in March next year.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Hotel,their restaurant, prices in the hotel etc.

We are travelling from Scotland and have never visited the area before...really looking forward to it..and would love as much info as possible on it.

How long does it take to stroll to the restaurants that you have mentioned. Will we really need a rental car whilst we are there.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the whole thing.

Many thanks

happycruzer

IL
6. Re: Pelican beach resort

While I never stayed at Pelican, I stayed very near to it. If you will be there in early March then the crowds should be minimal. However, late March (during spring break) is usually crowded. And, yes you will need a car to get to any of the good restaurants. I'm not sure if there are cabs that run in Destin

reviews: 5
7. Re: Pelican beach resort

There are cabs in Destin, but don't use them. They are scary.

Jefferson, Georgia
reviews: 6
8. Re: Pelican beach resort

jsp615: how was pelican beach? Thinking of staying there in mid - late August. I have heard that it is such a large resort that the pools and beach are very crowded. Was this the case for you? Does anyone have any additional input RE: this resort? I like the fact that it has great amenities (nice pools, restaurant on site, and one of few tiki bars that I have found at condos). Seems to be the most reasonable place with these amenities. Is this correct?

reviews: 1
9. Re: Pelican beach resort

my family and i stayed at the pelican beach resort. it was the most horrible experience ever. we went may 31-june 6.

it started out bad as soon as we arrived and got worse from there. all i have to stay is the management team which is run by college kids with a don't care attitude. crowed and dirty beach, garbage bags dumped by the evevators, no hot water,and than ultimately twice the water was shot off in the condo with no notice or explaination.

ps i would never go back and never recommend this condo to anyone!

Airdrie, United...
reviews: 24
10. Re: Pelican beach resort

So sorry folks i've posted here in error.

I was refering to the Pelican Beach Resort in Fort Lauderdale and somehow jumped onto this forum by mistake.

Boy did you guys have me worried when I read some of your replies, thankfully I'm headed in the right direction now.

Sorry for any confusion.

happycruzer