We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manatee Tour in Mid May

Which Crystal River hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fayetteville GA
Manatee Tour in Mid May

Wondering if Mid May is too late for a Manatee swim on Crystal River. I will be coming with family and don't want to disappoint everyone. Any opinions? Thanks.

Pennsylvania
1. Re: Manatee Tour in Mid May

Hello. My wife and I have been in July/August on two occasions and saw about a dozen manatees both times. Rent a small john boat (with a canopy) from the port hotel and marina. They'll set you up so that you can go out at sunrise. You'll be out before all of the tour boats and the manatees will be easy to spot. Head out of the dock towards Hunter Springs (they will give you a map) and you will see them when they come up to breath. Drop anchor and enjoy! You don't need any boating experience to do this yourself. We'll be there in May this year and I know it will be a great time.

SOCAL
reviews: 2
2. Re: Manatee Tour in Mid May

Chrisandsal - What is a John boat and is it easy to go in & out of the water from it. Where is the Port Hotel & Marina for the boat rental. We'll be heading in CR this summer and hoping to see some manatees and can you recommend lodging. Thanks.