We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manatees - April

Which Crystal River hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
reviews: 2
Manatees - April

I'm a bit nervous out of my depth but would like to try snorkelling - does boat stay close?

Is April a good time to see manatees?

Finally, none of the hotels have particularly good reviews. Comfort Inn or Best Western better location?

Thanks all

Southwest Florida
reviews: 64
1. Re: Manatees - April

most of the manatee "cruises" are geared much more for snorklers, even though many people dive. Manatees like the surface/shallow water where the water is warmer and there is food. April is a decent, though not great time, for manatees. Your odds increase dramatically if we get a late low pressure weather front. They go into the channel to get out of the cold water/wind.

Hotels in crystal river/Homosassa area is a challenge - I know. You may be better off with a local B&B than a chain. Wikki Wachee (south) or Dunellen (east) has a number of them and while it is a drive to crystal river (closer to homosassa) it might be worth it. The other area that is lovely and quaint, but again a bit of a drive, is Cedar Key (due northwest). Don't miss the Yulee Sugar mill state park (just south) while you are in the area -a decent bit of history. If you are looking for a less expensive place - check brooksville or wildwood/coleman (intersection of Interstate75/Rt429).

Good luck and happy swimming!

UK
reviews: 2
2. Re: Manatees - April

Thank you FLA Islandr - some very useful advice.

Sugar mill sounds good too - will look into that.