We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coral Gables questions

Which Coral Gables hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Derby, England
reviews: 35
Coral Gables questions

My husband and I are hopefully doing a home exchange this July to Coral Gables. Info on the following would be much appreciated:

1. What will a taxi cost from the airport to Coral Gables?

2. Will we need a car for the whole stay - or can we get around the area, go to Miami Beach etc using public transport.

3. Is it a safe area to walk around in the evening?

4. My husband smokes - I understand Florida is now "no smoking" are there restaurants with outdoor dining where he can still smoke in the area?

5. what can we expect weather wise.

Thanks for your help

Derby, England
reviews: 35
1. Re: Coral Gables questions

just wanted to bump this up - incase someone can assist.

Thanks.

Miami, Florida
reviews: 6
2. Re: Coral Gables questions

Hello, Miami native here, I also happen to work in Coral Gables. I will try to answer a few questions for you:

1. I have never had to take a taxi from the airport because a family member has always been available for pick ups - however, depending on where in the Gables your accomodation are, Coral Gables is only about 5 miles away from the airport.

2. If you truly want to see Miami I suggest you rent a car. Miami is not known for its public transportation and unless you are staying in downtown Coral Gables where there is a free trolly to get you around the most important sites - you will definately need a car.

3. Coral Gables is very safe, so is South Beach, Coconut Grove and South Miami. Downtown Miami is not yet functional in the evening and I would stay away from that area if possible.

4. There are plenty of restaurants with outdoor sitting - specially in the Gables. I recommend Tarpon Bend on Miracle Mile; http://www.shopcoralgables.com

5. July? HOT, VERY, VERY HOT

Gert

Miami, FL
reviews: 1
3. Re: Coral Gables questions

Coral Gables is a lovely area, known for lots of trees and beautiful homes. The downtown area has many of the finest restaurants in the county and is home to more than 100 international companies, so there is a variety of food and culture. Be sure to spend at least one afternoon at the Venetian Pool, a fabulous swimming hole carved from limestone in the heart of Coral Gables. The spring fed water is refreshing. See a show at Actor's Playhouse, Gablestage, and the Shakespeare Festival at The New Theater, all three in Coral Gables with shows in July.

1. A taxi from the airport to Coral Gables will be a minimum of $16 because of a minimum charge fee imposed. If you are going to the southernmost part of Coral Gables, it could be more, as the city is 11 miles long.

2. You can use a free trolley around the downtown of Coral Gables and it connects to MetroRail, but you would find it difficult to get to Miami Beach. Car rental here is quite cheap because of all the tourists. MetroRail can get you to a variety of places but usually you will need to transfer to a bus or two to get where you want to go.

3. Coral Gables is extremely safe. You will see people at major intersections throughout Miami who are selling flowers, offering to wash your windshield, selling mangoes (probably stolen from some homeowner's tree) or begging, but they aren't doing this in Coral Gables.

4. There's lots of outdoor seating but the heat, humidity or late afternoon rain may make that less appealing than inside.

5. July is rainy season. Expect it to rain every day, probably in late afternoon. It will be high 80s or low 90s and quite humid. If you are in the shade and able to have a breeze, you will be fine. Many people carry umbrellas for both sun and rain. Wear sunscreen every day!

On the 4th of July, the best fireworks in the area are at the Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables. Plan to go and enjoy the show!

4. Re: Coral Gables questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, August 13, 2009