We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

University of Miami

Which Coral Gables hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, New York
reviews: 4
University of Miami

Hey I recently got accepted teh university of Miami but I have no idea about the surrounding area. I am planning to visit soon but if someone could give me some heads up on the area, the school's reputation in the area, good places to stay that would be most helpful.

Miami, FL
reviews: 3
1. Re: University of Miami

First of all congrats, it's a great school (i went there). The school has a great reputation in the area but you probably want to get used to it first before going outside of the campus. There are great parts of Coral Gables but then there are bad parts. I'd recommend staying in the city of Miami but there are some hotels in Coral Gables too.

Fort Lauderdale...
reviews: 16
2. Re: University of Miami

Congrats. For your visit, I'd stay in Coconut Grove.

When you move down, Coral Gables does have it's nice and not so nice areas so be careful.

Brockton, MA
3. Re: University of Miami

My 2 sons graduated from UM. We usually stayed at the UMiami Holiday Inn - right across the street on US1. You can walk to visit the campus. You can also walk south and go to the Mall, with a movie theater. The Coral Gables Holiday Inn is about 5 minutes away and is near Miracle Mile (shopping).We also stayed in Coconut Grove - much pricier in general, but beautiful and great shopping and dining.

My sons loved it at Um and we were always envious when we talked to them in January (from MA) and they were wearing shorts! The campus is beautiful.

4. Re: University of Miami

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:50 am, December 31, 2004
5. Re: University of Miami

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:10 am, December 31, 2004
Huntsville, AL
reviews: 6
6. Re: University of Miami

My daughter is starting her second semester. She loves it! the classwork is very demanding, but we feel we are getting what we are paying for. Great faculty communication, real student services, activities, etc. Home football games, etc are free for students, etc. Go 'Canes!

When visitng the school and moving in, we have stayed at the Hampton Inn at 27th. The rates are very reasonable. However, it is down Dixie Hiway so you will need a car, unless you stay at the U of M holiday inn. The coral gables and cocnut grove areas are great. We have also stayed at the Mutiny hotel. It was fine and close to a local student favorite hangout, Monty's. Good luck.

Needham, MA
reviews: 1
7. Re: University of Miami

Congratulations! I hope that you like UM as much as my son does. He is a junior, soon to be joined by his younger brother who will be a freshman in Aug, 05. We used to stay at the Holiday Inn, U Miami, just across the road from campus, but have recently found that the Holiday Inn near the Miracle Mile is less expensive and almost as convenient. You cannot walk to campus from there, but we found we always used our car anyway from the other HI. Once we stayed at the Terrace Inn as the others were sold out. Cheaper, adequate but you definitely get what you pay for; not nearly as nice as the Holiday Inns. Good luck!

cleveland OH
reviews: 17
8. Re: University of Miami

I just stayed at the Holiday Inn across from the University of Miami. I thought it was very nice. I do not recommend staying in Miami because the traffic driving from Miami to Coral Gables will be awful.

The Lowe Art Museum on campus is also very nice, if you have a chance to stop there.