We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving day! What's open?

Which Clearwater hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis
reviews: 2
Thanksgiving day! What's open?

Hi everyone, my family and I are flying in Thanksgiving day and staying at the hilton. We are getting to the hotel around 10am. Any ideas on what to do the whole day? Where to eat, activities? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!! Susan from Indy ( GO COLTS!)

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 7
1. Re: Thanksgiving day! What's open?

Busch Gardens will be open, and I'm sure that the Hilton will have a Thanksgiving meal, but there won't be much else open.

Take the day to lay on the beach and decompress from work and school, then go have fun on Friday.

clearwater, FL
2. Re: Thanksgiving day! What's open?

I believe Bob Heilman's Beachcomber is offering a T-day dinner. It's just a couple blocks down from the Hilton on Mandalay. It is particularly popular with the snowbirds. We had our Easter meal there this year. Expect pretty traditional offerings.

Not sure if Island Way Grill is open, but if it is, that's where I plan to book T-day dinner. It's the best restaurant on Clearwater Beach, in my opinion.

Someone mentioned to me that Columbia might be open for T-day. The Clearwater locale of this century-old Spanish/Cuban restaurant is on Sand Key, just a short drive from the Hilton. The original Columbia in Ybor City, however, is my favorite; it's still housed in its original, ornately Spanish building in the middle of historic Ybor. If you go, don't miss the white sangria and 1906 salad--my favorites!

The Bellview Biltmore in Clearwater also offers a T-day buffet. We ate there last Chirstmas and really weren't terribly impressed. It is a wonderful old, historic hotel, however.

Otherwise, I agree that the thing to do is enjoy the beach! The weather this time of year is beautiful! Welcome to town, and enjoy!

Tampa, FL
3. Re: Thanksgiving day! What's open?

Be sure 2 bring some sweats b/c it's been rather chilly here this week. Also, U might want 2 bring something 2 cover your ears 2 protect them from the chill of the wind when it blows. Also, almost everyone I know, including my hubby and me, have this terrible flu (coughing, running nose, sore throat and ear aches). U might want 2 get some Airborne and take it the day b4 U arrive. If U take Echinacea, Cat's Claw, or Elderberry root supplements 2 boost your immune system--start taking them NOW!!!

I know we had a hard time finding places that were open on Thanksgiving years b4. Even the grocery stores close 4 Thanksgiving afternoon. Good Luck!

Tampa, FL
4. Re: Thanksgiving day! What's open?

The Castaway Restaurant is having a Thanksgiving Day Brunch. It's on the way from the Tampa International Airport (TPA) 2 Clearwater Beach at 7720 Courtney Campbell Causeway, Tampa, FL. We've had brunch there many times and have always been delighted and left with full tummies. Ask 2 sit at one of the tables by the water. They had absolutely EVERYTHING--an omelet chef who made your omelet right in front of U with the ingredients U chose and all kinds of fruit and seafood (shrimp, crab legs), desserts, orange juice, and many other items. Also, as I recall, the price was approx. $22 p/p, or something like that. I would suggest that U call 4 reservations ASAP. The number is: 813-281-0770

Also, the Rusty Pelican, 2425 Rocky Point Drive, Tampa, FL 33607 813-281-1943 is having a Turkey Day Brunch from 11 to 5 for $28 p/adult and $11 (I think) 4 children. It's a cool place, too. It's near the same area as Castaway. Be sure 2 map it on Google, or Mapquest b4 U come.

Also, be EXTREMELY careful coming from the airport 2 getting on Hwy. 60 to Clearwater. It's under construction and very confusing and DANGEROUS. After U take the Hwy. 60 exit from the airport road (to the right), U have 2 merge with traffic--BE VERY CAREFUL!!! Then, U have 2 work your way over 2 the far left lane 2 take the 60 Exit 2 Clearwater in a really short period of time. If U miss the exit, or can't get over soon enough--don't panic!!! Just work your way over 2 Memorial and take that exit 2 the left and go under the overpass and turn left 2 get back to 60 (a/k/a Courtney Campbell Causeway). Castaway is on the left about a mile, or two from where U go left 2 get on 60, or U take 60 until the traffic signal at Rocky Point Drive where you'll turn left 2 get 2 Rusty Pelican. Be SURE 2 call 4 reservations wherever U plan 2 go.

Crawdaddy's, 2500 Rocky Point Drive, 813-281-0407 might have a Brunch, too.

Indianapolis
reviews: 2
5. Re: Thanksgiving day! What's open?

Thank you sooo much for all the good advice! And thanks for the advice on the construction, I know here in Indy it's the same way! Thanks everyone! Susie

6. Re: Thanksgiving day! What's open?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, August 25, 2009