We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Okeechobee water release

Which Clearwater hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cary, NC
reviews: 8
Lake Okeechobee water release

Hi Guys. In reviewing two recent reviews for Clearwater Beach, one said the water was clear the other said the water had a brownish haze and smelled sulphuric. Which one is correct? I wondered if the water release from Lake Okeechobee has effected Clearwater Beach as it has made a huge effect on the waters near Sanibel Island. Thanks for your insight.

Clearwater, Florida
Destination Expert
for Clearwater
reviews: 24
1. Re: Lake Okeechobee water release

I haven't been to the beach in a couple months, sorry. I haven't heard anything in the news about foul water. The water here normally isn't really very clear, it is usually a darker blue-green color. Hopfully some folks that have been in it recently will be able to answer with better info.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
reviews: 22
2. Re: Lake Okeechobee water release

Lake O releases into the caloosahatchee river. No where NEAR clearwater. There would be no effect from that. The effects are all down near Fort myers where the river empties into the gulf.

However, any heavy rains recently can cause freshwater outflows anywhere in FL.

Edited: 9:37 am, September 26, 2013
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Clearwater
reviews: 83
3. Re: Lake Okeechobee water release

I'm not in Florida right now but just spoke to our long term tenants just over the bridge on Sand Key. They assure me there has been nothing brown or sulfuric about the water. Where did you read that review?

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 15
4. Re: Lake Okeechobee water release

I was there last week and it was not brown nor did it smell. Like a previous poster said, it is not clear, but it was a dark blue/green color while we were there.

Clearwater, Florida
Destination Expert
for Clearwater
reviews: 24
5. Re: Lake Okeechobee water release

I went to the beach for dinner last night. Looks and smells normal to me. Go and enjoy !

6. Re: Lake Okeechobee water release

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 29, 2014