We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do for the 45ish crowd?

Which Clearwater hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
reviews: 22
Things to do for the 45ish crowd?

Two 45ish women going to Clearwater for the week of April 1-7th. We have a place to stay at a relative's house and a rental car. We do plan to spend much of the week on the beach but also want to know about the shopping and restaurants in the area. Of course with the car we can go anywhere nearby that sounds good. How is the construction and what times are best to get back and forth to the beach? The city website makes everything sound just fine but I don't want to sit on a bridge for hours. Should we head further north? Where are the good value (but nice) places to eat? We will be looking for a little nightlife too but nothing with partying Spring Breakers. Any ideas out there?

Hanover, Pa
reviews: 41
1. Re: Things to do for the 45ish crowd?

I would stay away from Rt 60(Memorial Causeway)it is aways backed up with traffic all parts of the day. I recommend going south on Gulf Blvd. for site seeing and resturants. The Gulf Blvd. will take you down past other beaches Maderia, Reddington, Treasure Island and end up at St. Pete beach. Treasure Island beach has John's Pass which has shops and a fine Night club called Gators for live bands. You will find many small taverns or places similar that are quiet to hang out on Gulf Blvd. Clearwater Beach also has Sheppeards Tiki bar and an all-you-can eat seafood buffet.

Florida
reviews: 5
2. Re: Things to do for the 45ish crowd?

You can avoid the main bridge off Clearwater beach (memorial causeway) traffic by, heading South on Mandalay Ave (main beach road on Clearwater beach). Cross over the Sandkey bridge, 3-4 miles down the road is a light for the Belleair causeway, make left. This will take you into Clearwater. This way you can avoid most of the heavy traffic off and onto Clearwater beach. Belleair Causeway will turn into WestBay Rd, then to EastBay Rd.

There is a club/bar located on U.S. 19 called New York New York. It caters to an older crowd, they play good music. There is also a club Bricktown 54, it has a good mixture of ages mid 20's to 50's.

There are sooo many restaurants to choose from, I will spout some of the areas most popular. Carrabba's, BoneFish Grill, Outback Steak House, Chilli's, GrillSmith. Three of the above restaurants are located on the same road off the beach I spoke of above (belleair causeway)

Michigan
3. Re: Things to do for the 45ish crowd?

Thanks for the traffic tips. Is the New York New York a deulng piano bar like the one in Vegas? I would have liked that one but I had some drunk next to me spilling beer down my leg :) I did go back another night and it was fine though.

Any more local type places to eat? We have all the chains here; Carrabba's, Chili's, etc.. I'm looking for something more like neighborhood places. Or have the chains taken over the entire world?

Hanover, Pa
reviews: 41
4. Re: Things to do for the 45ish crowd?

Try Frency's in Clearwater beach, great food and atmosphere. The original (very first one) Hooter's on Gulf to Bay. Plenty of local or unique resturants on US 19. Also like I mention before on the Gulf Blvd has all kinds of places that are different to eat or relax for a drink. That's you best bet.

Michigan
5. Re: Things to do for the 45ish crowd?

OK Thanks! Looking forward to getting there. Six days to go. It will just be nice to see the warm sun again. It won't start getting to be beach weather up here in Michigan until June/July.