We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shelling, snorkeling, and dolphin encounters

Which Clearwater hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MN
Shelling, snorkeling, and dolphin encounters

Hi,

My daughter and I will be coming for a week in April. I am wondering where the best shelling would be for shells, sand dollars, and shark teeth? Is is Shell Island or Caladesi Island?

Where is the best place to do some snorkeling, more shallow and calmer waters for her?

Where can I find the best dolphin encounters while snorkeling, and a good place to get a good look at seat turtles in natural settings?

I have been trying to find out, if it is legal to keep shark teeth a few, and sand dollars. I have heard that somes places are legal and orthers are not. I have been trying to find this out, cannot locate any information on this.

Thank you

PS by the way, I cant wait to visit, my last visit was in Sarasota.

Clearwater, Florida
Destination Expert
for Clearwater
reviews: 24
1. Re: Shelling, snorkeling, and dolphin encounters

The Shell Island trip, or Caladesi will probably be the best areas for shelling. Also, on Clearwater Beach, the farther you walk to the North will be better for shelling as the crowds really thin out.

It's not the best water in FL to snorkel in,but right off the beach will be fine as the waves normally are not that large on the gulf beaches, as opposed to the Atlantic. There are dolphin encounter boat tours from the beach, to see dolphins in the wild. Turtles would be just a chance encounter but the odds would be pretty long to see them, best bet would be at the Clearwater Marine Aquarium, which is just a few minutes drive from the beach.

Keeping sand dollars is legal, if they are not alive. It's illegal to take live ones. Most of the ones you find on the beach are no longer alive. Most of the ones you will find in the water will still be alive. On the bottom of the sand dollar, there are probably hundreds of very short tentacles, or 'feet'. If they are moving, then it's alive.

I have never heard of any law limiting the keeping any sharks teeth you may find.

Twin Cities...
reviews: 14
2. Re: Shelling, snorkeling, and dolphin encounters

We collected quite a good share of shells last week right on CB (north beach) (sand dollars, star fish, etc etc.) In other years I have had really good luck on Honeymoon Island, just 10 minutes north of CB (in Dunedin).

If you want to see dolphins for free go to John's Pass down by Maderia Beach. Everytime I go there I see so many dolphins right from the wharf. It's fun.

MN
3. Re: Shelling, snorkeling, and dolphin encounters

Thank you for the information. I cant hardly stand the excitement anymore. I want SUN AND NO MORE SNOW!

4. Re: Shelling, snorkeling, and dolphin encounters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, September 22, 2009