We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving From Michigan To Cape Canaveral

Which Cape Canaveral hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kalamazoo, MI
Moving From Michigan To Cape Canaveral

Hey everyone,

I am from Michigan, and I just got a job on the Cape. I have a few weeks to wait while they check me out, so I am looking for any and all local info since I am going to be one soon.

I am going to be renting for a while and hopefully save up some cash.

Where are the best / worst areas to live within 30 minutes of driving from the cape?

Where are the best local hangout spots? Any really cool bars/restaurants? I have heard good things about lori wilson park and cocoa beach.

How dangerous are the sharks/gators in the area? I might pick up surfing and I have a cocker spaniel and I don’t really want to feed the animals.

I was told of a rumor that if you go to the cruise ships the day of the launch that you can get tickets at cost, any truth to that?

That’s all I can think of any help would be appreciated, thanks ahead of time!

Kalamazoo, MI
1. Re: Moving From Michigan To Cape Canaveral

I just thought of something, I am a huge detroit sports fan and was wondering if there were any sports bars that would be willing to satisfy my addiction.

Suntree, Florida
reviews: 56
2. Re: Moving From Michigan To Cape Canaveral

First, Congrats on your transfer. I think you will love the East Coast of Florida.

I would stay away from Titusville and Cocoa. There are some nice places in both, but there are also high crime rates in both towns. Once you have lived here awhile, you will get a better idea of what I mean.

Cocoa Beach is a big hot spot. Lots of clubs, lots of skin, etc. We live in Melbourne and I usually don't go up that way for bars, so I can't give you any names. There is a new Ron Jon's resort up in Cocoa as well as numerous hotels. It is a tourist and local area.

Shark attacks are becoming more and more common. We just had another one this weekend. However, there are also thousands of people in the water everyday this time of year, so keep that in mind. Public Beaches that have lifeguards are the way to go. The lifeguards watch out for any sharks.

Gators are in just about every body of water. However, they usually do not come up on people's lawn and chase their pets. Yes, it can happen, but it is not as common as you may believe. They usually stay in the water, and once they get a certain size, the communities call the trappers to come get them. As far as parks, etc, lots of people still go into the water.

I'm not sure about what you mean with your last question. Do you mean a cruise for cost?

Cape Canaveral...
reviews: 125
3. Re: Moving From Michigan To Cape Canaveral

MichMike

I would consider Merritt Island to live. It puts you central until you can decide what to do.

Stay away from the Jaws movies before you move. You have a better chance of getting hurt on the drive to the beach than you do in the water.

I would keep Fido out of the canals but dont watch to many aligator movies either.

Nightlife is plenty but so is the law. Get use to taking a cab. Florida has very tough DUI laws. I like going to the port to party. It has multiple places to go with a lot of entertainment. Lots of fun Sunday afternoon when the ships go out and you are up close.

As far as a deal no last minute that I know of because of security. Besides its a booming business and most go out pretty full.

Anyway welcome to Florida and dont forget the sunscreen!!!

Kalamazoo, MI
4. Re: Moving From Michigan To Cape Canaveral

Thanks for all your help.

Any sports bars in the area that wouldnt mind switching a TV over to a Detroit game?

Cape Canaveral...
reviews: 125
5. Re: Moving From Michigan To Cape Canaveral

There are a few. I think the Pig & Whistle in Cocoa Beach might be a Detroit Bar.

Southern Michigan
6. Re: Moving From Michigan To Cape Canaveral

There is a sports bar located at the corner of Eau Gallie and A1A in Indiatlantic. Anyways it is located directly across the street from Wal-Mart. This particular bar is owned by people from Michigan.

It has an outdoor deck and is pretty cool.

As far as living, Melbourne Beach is great. Not as much nightlife as the Cocoa area but it is a great area anyway.

cocoa,fl
7. Re: Moving From Michigan To Cape Canaveral

Welcome MichMike- I am from Michigan as well. I' ve lived in Brevard county for 13 years and I love it! If you want to rent cheaply to save some cash, I suggest Titusville. It's very close to the Cape, and there are some nice areas there (and some bad areas too-just like anywhere else) . Shark and gator attacks are very rare-look up the numbers for the past 50 years and you'll see what I mean-lightning is much more of a danger. I do suggest keeping your dog on a leash when near any inland body of water. Gators do lurk in ponds, lakes,and rivers. No sense in making your dog a target! Good luck and I hope you enjoy Florida! Jrnest

8. Re: Moving From Michigan To Cape Canaveral

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, August 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Cape Canaveral