We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rocket launch on 7th of February 2012

Which Cape Canaveral hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
reviews: 74
Rocket launch on 7th of February 2012

Hi All,

There is a planned launch of a Falcon 9 rocket from SLC 40 when I'll be in Orlando.

I've visited KSC twice last year and could go back as I haven't done the VAB visit that is now available.

So my question would be, if the launch is a go a 8:28 PM is it worth the wait after my day of visit to see it ?

Bloomington...
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
reviews: 30
1. Re: Rocket launch on 7th of February 2012

That's a personal decision dependent on your interest in space and if you have seen many launches in the past.

It sounds like you have that interest, you are coming all the way from Ireland, and presumably this is your first launch. Of course, there is always the chance it could be delayed.

If it were me, I'd stick around a few extra hours to see it. While you are waiting, have dinner at the restaurants at the port or go down to Cocoa Beach.

Edited: 5:57 pm, January 14, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
2. Re: Rocket launch on 7th of February 2012

Hi,

it would be my first launch, I missed the shuttle in October 10 when it was delayed until Feb.

I was planning the day at the KSC, early dinner at that seafood place in Titusville and head to Port Canaveral and maybe jetty park.

I'll check regularly the NASA schedule and updates.

To have a view of SLC 40, Port Canaveral seems to be the best option ?

Bloomington...
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
reviews: 30
3. Re: Rocket launch on 7th of February 2012

If it was a day launch, I would say that the best place to watch from would be the KSC visitors complex itself (or even just the parking lot) or Playalinda Beach. I'm not sure that either of those will be accessible at 8:28 p.m.

Also, being a night launch, there is a reason to watch it from near the water -- the water reflects the light and adds another dimension to the experience.

There is really no place that you will be able to see the rocket in the gantry. You will not be allowed within miles of the pad.

Space View Park at Titusville is an acceptable option. However, if it were me, I would probably opt for one of the following:

1. State Route 401 just north of the port cruise terminals, and before the guard booth for the Cape Canaveral Air Force Base. You will have a nearly uninstructed view across the lagoon towards the pad, although it is about 12 miles distant.

2. The ocean beaches east of highway A1A in Cocoa Beach, from Jetty Park on the north to the Cocoa Beach Pier on the south. There are many restaurants down that way. The launch will seem to be coming from slightly inland because of the curve of the coast at the Cape.

If you go, try to have a car or portable radio with you and listen for information on WMEL radio (1300 on the AM band). Note that the first indication of ignition will be a bright light. You will not hear the rocket for about one minute because of the distance.

A night launch is a special experience, and rarer than a day launch. I hope it goes as scheduled.

Edited: 8:05 pm, January 14, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
4. Re: Rocket launch on 7th of February 2012

Jetty Park was my favorite and the pier could work, but they do have a mean mojito there so I'd rather avoid it as I would be driving and no able to indulge ;)

I was wondering about that sport on 401, could work too.

Thanks for the heads up.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
5. Re: Rocket launch on 7th of February 2012

Well all of this is up in the air now, as the KSC website doesn't mention a launch on Feb 7 any longer.... and NASA website mentions it is under review.

Edited: 6:02 am, January 23, 2012
Orlando, Florida
reviews: 40
6. Re: Rocket launch on 7th of February 2012

It's most liikely in April now. But, there is another rocket launch on the Feb 16th on an Atlas V. Alway check spaceflightnow.com for the latest info. Mission Status Center has the latest on all the launches!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
7. Re: Rocket launch on 7th of February 2012

Thanks, I read about the next launches but unfortunately came back to Dublin this morning.

Another time maybe.

8. Re: Rocket launch on 7th of February 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, February 13, 2013