We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

round trip from NYC to Wilmington , DE.?

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Wilmington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
round trip from NYC to Wilmington , DE.?

I have to travel round trip from NYC to Wilmington , DE. What is the best way to travel. Peter Pan has an "express" bus. What do you think of Peter Pan Line and is there a better way to travel? I know about Amtrak, but it's expensive. Thanks

Philadelphia...
reviews: 60
1. Re: round trip from NYC to Wilmington , DE.?

I have only gone Wilm to NYC roundtrip. I took the Double Happiness Bus from Wilmington. It was really cheap and I got what I paid for. It was not luxury :) You might want to see if Megabus does that route.

Wilmington, DE
reviews: 66
2. Re: round trip from NYC to Wilmington , DE.?

Peter Pan. Greyhound, Trailways, etc. are established carriers and provide reliable (safe) transportation at a cost lower than Amtrak. The curbside bus lines are quite another thing. One of these was just this past Winter shut down here in Wilmington on account multiple safety violations.

My take is that these budget services are false economy. They're liable to break-downs and unscheduled stops. If you are really short on funds, there are alternatives to the questionable cut-rate busses that ply the Wilmington-NYC route.

I haven't tried this, but I'm reliably informed that by utilizing commuter trains (NJ Transit and SEPTA) between the two cities one can reduce the ticket price by up to two-thirds. This adds a few hours to the journey, and entails two transfers. Slow, but normally safe and dependable.

Now, if you can swing it, the Amtrak train is still superior. It's faster and more comfortable than the competition. And your choice of departure times is maybe triple what the bus lines offer (which is what has kept me riding the rails). For a price break, order your ticket online well in advance. Avoid the premium Acela service. And try not to change your itinerary at the last minute; you'll suffer a penalty just like you would on an airline.

Wilmington, DE
reviews: 66
3. Re: round trip from NYC to Wilmington , DE.?

Peter Pan. Greyhound, Trailways, etc. are established carriers and provide reliable (safe) transportation at a cost lower than Amtrak. The curbside bus lines are quite another thing. One of these was just this past Winter shut down here in Wilmington on account multiple safety violations.

My take is that these budget services are false economy. They're liable to break-downs and unscheduled stops. If you are really short on funds, there are alternatives to the questionable cut-rate busses that ply the Wilmington-NYC route.

I haven't tried this, but I'm reliably informed that by utilizing commuter trains (NJ Transit and SEPTA) between the two cities one can reduce the ticket price by up to two-thirds. This adds a few hours to the journey, and entails two transfers. Slow, but normally safe and dependable.

Now, if you can swing it, the Amtrak train is still superior. It's faster and more comfortable than the competition. And your choice of departure times is maybe triple what the bus lines offer (which is what has kept me riding the rails). For a price break, order your ticket online well in advance. Avoid the premium Acela service. And try not to change your itinerary at the last minute; you'll suffer a penalty just like you would on an airline.

Philadelphia...
4. Re: round trip from NYC to Wilmington , DE.?

Hi Ginny K,

If I may expand on the SEPTA/NJ Transit method:

Start off on SEPTA Regional Rail (commuter lines). Take the Wilmington/Newark Line inbound (towards Phila). Get off at 30th St Station. There, transfer onto another Regional Rail line called the Trenton Line.

Take that the last stop; the Trenton Transit Center.

NOTE: You can purchase a ticket on Wilimington/Newark Line good for both SEPTA trains that costs $10 (cash). Be sure to tell the conductor your destination is Trenton. Also be sure to take the ticket with you when you switch trains.

At Trenton Transit Center, catch NJ Transit's Northeast Corridor Line. The last stop on that is Penn Station, New York City. This train costs $15.50 one way.

The trip likely will take about 3 1/2 hours. Total cost $25.50 one way.

www.septa.org/schedules/rail/pdf/nwk.pdf

(SEPTA Trenton Line & NJ Transit schedule times on listed on both of the following schedules)

www.septa.org/schedules/rail/pdf/tre.pdf

www.septa.org/schedules/rail/pdf/tre.pdf

5. Re: round trip from NYC to Wilmington , DE.?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, August 21, 2013