We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Day - Catholic Mass

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Wilmington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lennoxtown
reviews: 2
Christmas Day - Catholic Mass

My son will be in Wilmington on Christmas/Boxing Days, he is in the merchant navy and his ship will be docked. On his last trip he visited The Christiana Shopping Mall which, on the map, looks to me to be quite a bit from the river. He has asked me find out about Catholic Mass on Christmas Day. He is not the best of attenders when he is at home but I think he has a notion to attend Mass on Christmas Day as he is away from home. I have taken a look at a map of the diocese and there appears to be a number of churches in the city. His first language is English and so a service in English would be preferred, I think that St Mary's is possibly the closest church to the river but Mass there appears to be bi-lingual (possibly English and Spanish). All suggestions welcomed.

Philadelphia...
1. Re: Christmas Day - Catholic Mass

Wilmington's Saint Patrick's day parade ends up with a party in front of St Patrick Parish,Fifteenth and King Streets. (302) 652-0743.

Not a practicing Catholic, nor have I ever attended, but it looks nice from the outside. I don't think the bi-lingual service would be an issue here, but it's not as close to the port as St. Mary's.

TG.

Lennoxtown
2. Re: Christmas Day - Catholic Mass

Thank you, I think St Patrick's would suit him nicely. I will pass the message on to him when I email later today. He is currently tied up in Puerta Limon, Costa Rica. If you are ever looking for info on Scotland don't hesitate to get in touch.

Wilmington, DE
reviews: 29
3. Re: Christmas Day - Catholic Mass

There are no Catholic churches really close to the marine terminal where he would tie up. For Christmas Mass I would suggest perhaps St Elizabeths or St Anthony. Both are larger churches in the city. There is also the cathedral church of St Peter (the bishop's seat) in center city.

I am pretty sure there are some organizations that provide rides to merchant seamen. If not, perhaps one of the churhces can provide transport. I am going to forward this thread over to the diocesan office for you.

Wilmington, DE
reviews: 29
4. Re: Christmas Day - Catholic Mass

This link is to the seaman's center run by the Episcopal Diocese. They routinely take seaman to local shopping ctrs. They might do the same for church services.

www.dioceseofdelaware.net/seamensCenter.html

With increased security issues today, they might be your best bet for getting around.

After looking around, St Joe's, St Patricks are smaller churches but closer to the terminal.

Merry Christmas to you and your family

Lennoxtown
5. Re: Christmas Day - Catholic Mass

Hi Frank, thank you for your help here. I got in touch with Shirley McKeown for the times of Mass at St Pat's, she also was very helpful. My son docked in Wilmington a few weeks ago and went with one of the other officers to the Christiana Shopping Mall. He is on a regular route with Dole as part of his training. I will pass your information on to him. This is our first Christmas with my youngest son not here so it is going to be quite strange, his brother and sister are still at home so there is a bit of a gapping hole. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family.

6. Re: Christmas Day - Catholic Mass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, January 21, 2013