We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to spend my day

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Wilmington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
SW, Ohio
reviews: 71
How to spend my day

I'm a solo traveler who has a day to fill in Wilmington during the first week of December. Any suggestions? The fact that the weather will be cooler could limit outdoor activities. I'm a pretty curious person so I'd be up for anything. A little culture and some good food would be ideal. Thanks!

Philadelphia...
1. Re: How to spend my day

The two "must-see" attractions, courtesy of the DuPont family, are the Winterthur Estate museum and Longwood Gardens which is just 5 minutes over the state line in Kennett Square Pennsylvania. You could easily spend the whole day at either.

If the weather is good there are walking trails through the gardens at both. If the weather is not so great, you can spend the entire time indoors at both. There are dining and shopping possibilities on site or in the small towns of Centerville and Kennett.

On a smaller scale, also legacies of the DuPont family are Hagley museum (featuring the early powdermills that started their dynasty) or the Nemours mansion which was the home of A.I DuPont whose children's hospital is still world famous.

On an even smaller scale is the Rockwood Museum, which was recently featured on My Ghost Story, an A&E broadcast of haunted homes.

If you don't care for museums and are willing to drive about an hour 1/2 visit our coastline - esp. the Rehoboth boardwalk if the weather is nice enough - most of the shops will be closed for the season, but still a nice place to walk, sand-free, and enjoy the ocean. Lewes, witih it's beautiful Victorian architecture, is 10-15 minutes away and has a few quaint little streets for shopping and dining. December is iffy for shopping of course since it is off-season.

Wilmington, DE
reviews: 28
2. Re: How to spend my day

Second on all the suggestions in the first response. You might also consider the Brandywine Wine Trail and sample some of our local wines.

3. Re: How to spend my day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, June 22, 2013