We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st timer needing help !!

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
WILKES BARRE, PA
1st timer needing help !!

Hello all, looking for some help on some general questions.

We will be staying at a friends house near Mcdonalds on Route 1 next Mon - Thurs.

I have been reading about parking and decied to get a parking pass.

What time are they open til to purchase the parking passes?

Can someone point me in the right direction for streets that generally is good to park at?

I have looked at the parking map for Rehoboth and am aware the permit only allows you to park at certain streets. My goal is to not drive around and waste time trying to find spots if possible.

We usually arrive to the beach between 9:30 and 10 am. Would traffic & parking be an issue getting to the beach at those hours?

Thanks in advance, Andy

Wilmington, DE
reviews: 28
1. Re: 1st timer needing help !!

If I can make a suggestion.......for going to the beach itself....consider driving down to the ocean side beaches of the DE Seashore state park.. Tower Beach or Indian River or Cape Henlopen all have bathouses and snack facilites. They tend to less crowded then Rehoboth itself. Cape Henlopen is next to Lewes. Tower and Indian River are south of Dewey Beach.

I am a native Delawarean (a minority in our state now)...and have NEVER spent a day on beach at Rehoboth. We have always gone to one of the state beaches for the day and then gone into Rehoboth in the evening for dinner and boardwalk.

Pottstown...
reviews: 17
2. Re: 1st timer needing help !!

We start our 2 week vacation in Rehoboth this coming weekend. We already have our state beach pass ($55) and go to Tower Beach almost every time....Cape Henlopen state park if we want to change things up. When I was little, my family always went into downtown Rehoboth. But I realize now it is a waste of time & money. Fighting for a parking spot, paying a hefty price to park every day, fighting for a place on the beach and dealing with the rocks in the surf. No thanks. The state parks are the way to go.

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
reviews: 645
3. Re: 1st timer needing help !!

Here is a link to the city's parking page.

www.cityofrehoboth.com/index.cfm…

It gives info on permits. I know they open for permit sales by 10am, but I think it might be even earlier...maybe 9am. It's been a while since I bought a permit. I don't think traffic will be terrible at 9am-10am, but will get heavier as you approach early afternoon. You should have a good selection of spots still at that hour.

I, however, would rather go to the Cape Henlopen State Park for the beaches. There the waves are not as rough & the undertow is not as swift. Plus you dont have to walk very far with your beach belongings. And they have bath houses & a concession stand at the state park. For the admission fee into the state park you can also take a walk around historic Fort Miles, visit the nature center, walk the seaside nature trail, ride bikes on the bike trail (Free bike rental) and more.

Hope this helps some.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
reviews: 36
4. Re: 1st timer needing help !!

Hi, Andy. All the non-metered areas are pretty much the same as far as availability, and obviously, closer to the beach is usually harder to get. One little secret to share is Surf Ave on the north side of town. There is usually parking on Surf and there are dune crossings right there so you can easily get to the beach. Then when you're done with the beach, put the stuff in the car and easily stroll to the center of town via the boardwalk which connects with Surf at the Henlopen Hotel. We hope you enjoy your visit to our town!

Allentown , PA
reviews: 189
5. Re: 1st timer needing help !!

I have done the state parks in the past but when going to Rehoboth I just get to the beach early and deal with it. to me the crowds around the boardwalk are part of the fun of the whole thing and if it takes a little longer to park, I expect that. If I want a state park I'll go down to Assateague so then I can at least see the ponies LOL. Have a great trip to Rehoboth and enjoy!!!!!

WILKES BARRE, PA
6. Re: 1st timer needing help !!

@ daisyferret1

You mentioned about the waves being calmer at the Cape Henlopen State Park. I've heard the the state park spilts where one section as calmer water . We were looking to stay away from the calmer water. If we decide to go Henlopen does one section have calmer waters?

Wilmington, DE
reviews: 28
7. Re: 1st timer needing help !!

The calmer water reference was in reference to some of the other parks. It is all ocean beach at Henlopen.

WILKES BARRE, PA
8. Re: 1st timer needing help !!

Thank you everyone for all the help.

One more question.

Are the 10x10 pop up tent type canopies allowed on all beaches? Either Rehoboth or the state parks?

Once again, Thanks for all the help!!

Andy

Pottstown...
reviews: 21
9. Re: 1st timer needing help !!

Tower Beach and Cape Henlopen are great places. Since you are going Monday thru Thursday no problem at Henlopen especially at 9:30 am. Short walk to your destination near the water. Don't recommend Henlopen on the weekend. Gets crowded fast, if your not early park far away, and not a lot of beach. Umbrellas every 10 feet. Tower beach usually good all the time, just a longer walk on the sand to your destination. During the week, early birds like you (9:30 am) to the beach also not a problem in Rehoboth. We mix it up. Sometimes you need to beat the heat and get off the beach for lunch and get into the air conditioning for lunch on the boardwalk. It will cost you 1.50 an hr at Rehoboth to park. You start paying at 10:00 am so figure about $6 for 4 hrs on the beach.

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
reviews: 645
10. Re: 1st timer needing help !!

Andy,

If you go into the state park...the swimming beach has waves (which is still calmer than Rehoboth). If you go to the left of the point OR to the "point" there are NO waves. Some people will wade here, clam and go fishing off the pier. I see people sunbathing on this beach just to avoid the crowds seen on the swimming beach in the CHSP. There is also Lewes Beach 1 &2 behind the Dairy Queen in Lewes. It has little to no waves & has metered parking (no bathhouse).

Hope this helps