We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in DC...What's the best place/closest ocean beach?

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 18
Staying in DC...What's the best place/closest ocean beach?

I'm looking for the best ocean beach that's closest to the Baltimore/DC area. What is a better choice? Ocean City, MD or Rehoboth DE? They seem to be the same distance. What about Virginia Beach? This is for myself and my teenage daughter. We are looking for a relaxing time on the beach. Maybe a little shopping.

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
reviews: 670
1. Re: Staying in DC...What's the best place/closest ocean beach?

I would choose Rehoboth for what you want. You can relax on the beach in either Lewes or Rehoboth. Plus you can get great TAX FREE shopping at the Tanger Outlets in Rehoboth. IF you want REALLY quiet beaches, you could always travel south to Assateague National Seashore. That is neat since there are horses on the beaches, but no great shopping in the immediate area there....other than driving over to Salisbury, MD for the mall. Ocean City is more built up than Rehoboth & you will have to pay tax on your shopping. I don't think they really have any great shopping there. Bethany Beach is also an option for a more quiet atmosphere on the beach...about 30 minutes south of Rehoboth.

Hope this helps!

Edited: 4:09 pm, July 08, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
2. Re: Staying in DC...What's the best place/closest ocean beach?

Is Bethany Beach in MD? Do you anything about Virginia Beach? Any suggestions on hotels? Thanks! Does help!

Pottstown...
3. Re: Staying in DC...What's the best place/closest ocean beach?

Bethany Beach is in Delaware. Virginia Beach reminds me of Ocean City, MD. Like Daisy said, if your looking for shopping the place to be is Delaware where it is tax free and you have the Tanger Outlets and some great small, quaint places at Rehoboth Beach.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
reviews: 36
4. Re: Staying in DC...What's the best place/closest ocean beach?

Virginia Beach is too far. Rehoboth is great and tons of DC people come here in the summer. Try coming at alternate times. Busiest times for the "commute" to the beach are Fridays 3p-9p and Saturday 11a-7p. Returns are typically Sundays 11a-4p. Try to avoid these times so you don't spend your vacation sitting in traffic.

Bethany is a wonderful little town about 20 min south from Rehoboth (good for a day trip). Rehoboth is only one square mile & Bethany is even smaller. Ocean City is more city-like with high rise hotels for miles and miles.

Baltimore, MD
reviews: 8
5. Re: Staying in DC...What's the best place/closest ocean beach?

Given your expressed interests (relaxing beach town with shopping), your best bet is Rehoboth Beach and the surrounding area. In addition to the shopping at the outlets on Route 1, there are some great shops in the town itself that are favorites of my wife. And, the small and quaint town of Lewes is only a few minute drive away. Rehoboth Beach also has a surprisingly superb and diverse dining scene.

Wilmington, DE
reviews: 29
6. Re: Staying in DC...What's the best place/closest ocean beach?

Bethany is very laid back. Rehoboth, and Dewey Beach are adjacent to each other. Any of these would meet your requirements

Southeastern...
reviews: 58
7. Re: Staying in DC...What's the best place/closest ocean beach?

Daybreak42 --

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bethany+beach&l=1

Delaware
reviews: 23
8. Re: Staying in DC...What's the best place/closest ocean beach?

Just my opinion reading your post and the comments. I would pick a hotel on the hiway (RT 1) between Lewes and Rehoboth. This would give you great access to tax free shopping at the (3) Tangier outlets. From Rt 1 hotel you would have easy access to the beach at Cape Henlopen State Park which to me would be my first choice for a relaxing beach with easy parking and bath house. You could go into Rehoboth to the boardwalk and park free on unmetered streets in the evening.

Delaware
reviews: 177
9. Re: Staying in DC...What's the best place/closest ocean beach?

Rehoboth is good for shopping and the beach. Ocean City is great if you want some night life and a wider variety of restaurants and hotels. Both have a good boardwalk.

We just came back from a peaceful week at Bethany Beach. It is quieter but Ocean City and Rehoboth are both within 20 mins away.

10. Re: Staying in DC...What's the best place/closest ocean beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 12, 2014