We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rehoboth Mall- peebles

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 63
Rehoboth Mall- peebles

Each year driving to the outlets in Rehoboth I see this mall with the store peebles attached to it but never decided to stop in and check it out. Is this mall still in business with shops inside? or what is inside of it?

I think google calls it the rehoboth mall

9 replies to this topic
Southeastern...
reviews: 55
1. Re: Rehoboth Mall- peebles

Peebles is a chain with stores in PA, MD, DE. Other stores across the country with the same owner have the names Bealls, Palais Royale, Stage, or Goodys. It's moderately priced, kinda like Kohl's. There are ALWAYS sales. And there's a discount for over 55's the first Tuesday of every month.

Rehoboth Mall used to be a great retail location, always busy, before the outlets (and Walmart) opened. But over the years it has really deteriorated. I found this list of stores: rehobothboardwalk.com/submissions/RM_Flyer_0… You can see it's pretty pathetic these days. The stores with outside entrances have managed to survive, but my impression is that most of the inside entry spaces are empty.

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
reviews: 572
2. Re: Rehoboth Mall- peebles

HI,

There is not much to the Rehoboth Mall. Wythany is correct...it used to be nice back in the day. There actually used to be 2 wings to this mall when it originally opened. It used to have a decent food court, bookstore, jewlers, music/cd store, clothing shops, pet shop & more. Then one wing closed. There was a discount Movie theater in that one wing for a while, then it closed. There is not much left inside now. Last time I checked, the remaining wing basically has a nail salon, chinese restaurant & radio shack.

Peebles is OK. It is a smaller dept store. It has a small kids, juniors and mens dept in addition to womens, misses, shoes, accessories, perfume & make-up. To me, it seems like a store better suited to the older/more mature crowd. As a kid & teen I didnt care for it, but my grandmother did!

Here is another link that will show you some photos of the inside. They are older photos (when there was a movies next to Peebles).

http://www.cordishleasing.com/rehobothmall/

Hope this helps.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 28
3. Re: Rehoboth Mall- peebles

Peebles is the last "anchor" store that opens into the inner mall. Radio Shack (with no external entrance) is still there, and the nail salon, but the Chinese Restaurant and other tenants are long gone. Cordish tried to play "hardball" by forcing the few remaining tenants into signing long term leases and it backfired.

It now reminds me of the "Saturday Night Live" skits about a pathetic dying mall with few customers other than mall employees.

The movie theatre wing is now a health club. Like Michaels and Tuesday Afternoon, it doesn't open into the mall. The Wal-Mart ( a separate building) will soon be razed and a Super Store (with full grocery) will open behind it, so this may revive the mall.

Southeastern...
4. Re: Rehoboth Mall- peebles

Wow, Daddio! That's interesting news about Walmart!

Pottstown...
reviews: 8
5. Re: Rehoboth Mall- peebles

This used to be a decent mall when I was young. I loved the book store & pet shop. We frequented the movies during rainy nights. And it was great deal the last year or so they were open when they operated as a discount theater. But the theater is gone, and besides Peebles some food places in the food courrt & Radio Shack, I dont think much is left at all. Pretty sad.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 28
6. Re: Rehoboth Mall- peebles

Food places are gone. Even with the gym traffic they couldn't hold on. There was an attempt to revive the pet shop but it didn't last long. I miss the Chinese Buffet, it was a great bargain. They really wanted to stay, but Cordish wouldn't negotiate with them. No rent is better than a short term lease?

The WalMart story is this: When they replaced the Super Fresh (that moved north), they had to sign a "non compete" clause limiting food sales. They had planned the Super Store to be built as soon as that clause expired, but the adjacent landowner insisted on a lease. WalMart balked and kept pressing to purchase the land, but recently aborted mission and agreed to a long term lease. There has been little press about this, but according to an insider they are just waiting for final zoning approvals before the bulldozers arrive.

So, time will tell if the increased traffic can save this "ghost town" mall. In the meantime, Cordish probably is enjoying the "write off."

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
reviews: 572
7. Re: Rehoboth Mall- peebles

Rehoboth mall is NOW listed on Tripadvisor. I am adding some photos of both interior and exterior views for anyone interested.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34048-d43…

Hope this helps

Edited: 10:14 pm, September 14, 2013
Southeastern...
8. Re: Rehoboth Mall- peebles

Daddio - Now that this thread has been revived . . . any new info on the Walmart transformation?

Alexandria, Virginia
reviews: 108
9. Re: Rehoboth Mall- peebles

It's a cheesy off brand Kmart type place.

Reply to: Rehoboth Mall- peebles
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted