We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Visitor ? re weekly rentals & geography

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY, NY
reviews: 31
First Time Visitor ? re weekly rentals & geography

Hi DE Experts! Like a lot of visitors to this forum, I am looking forward to a first trip to the DE beaches area and am looking for some guidance. In particular, because my budget is moderate, I'm wondering about the downsides of renting further inland.

I'm planning for Memorial Day, which I now begins the high season. There are a couple of places (mostly found through realtors) that are within a couple of blocks to the beach, but these are smaller and older than what's available further inland. They appear to have been well used over the years, and I'm afraid I might be a little turned off when the home aren't sparkly clean.

Further inland, there are more modern looking options that appeal for the sparkly clean factor. But some of what I've read about traffic makes me nervous. How bad/noisy is the traffic around Memorial Day? Are these inland neighborhoods not pleasant for a sit on the porch or for a stroll? I see on maps lots of small inland lakes and bays that could be pleasant for walking, but maybe that's not the case. If the inland neighborhoods are great for sitting/walking outdoors, but the only downside is having to drive/bus to the beach, I'm fine with that. But if they are far from the beach/boardwalk and have less than zero charm and you wouldn't want to be outdoors, I'd rather go towards the beach where some of us can have better walks.

I know water temps won't be great, but will it take forever in Memorial Day traffic to get to beach from some of the inland developments? (On the topic of water temps, Jungle Jims is not heated is it? I hear they open Memorial weekend, but isn't the water still cold?!)

For reference, the inland places I'm thinking of are places like: The Tides, Eagles Landing, Spring Lake, Edgewater Park, Keys of Marsh Harbor, Canal Corkran...

We will be a family of 4-6 adults and one 3 year old. We'd like to grill and play outdoors (yard, playground, etc). Proximity to the beach is nice, but not paramount, esp. since one of us will be very pregnant (with twins) and so may not make the walk to the beach even if it's 3-4 blocks away! Hence, I'm willing to go further inland.

But if these developments are a thumbs down, please advise! Maybe there is a reason that they all have pictures of EMPTY community pools and tennis courts. Maybe no one wants to be outdoors in these heavy traffic areas?

13 replies to this topic
Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 28
1. Re: First Time Visitor ? re weekly rentals & geography

Well, Memorial Day weekend is certainly one of the worst (if not THE worst) for traffic/congestion. Even off-season, traffic can get heavy, parking spaces can get harder to find, longer waits at restaurants, etc. So if you're concerned about that, I'd pick a different weekend.

If you can't reschedule, I think on that weekend you would be much happier staying on a quiet sidestreet within walking distance of the beach & downtown (avoid staying anywhere that involved using a vehicle).

One thing I love about Rehoboth is the abundance of quiet, tree-lined streets. Renting bikes might enlarge the area you could look at. However, the communities west of the beach towns could be more relaxing and perhaps offer lake or otherwise scenic views and walking trails. Canal Corkran may be close enough to walk (and certainly to bike) into downtown Rehoboth and the beach without crossing any highways.

You might also consider staying in Lewes, There are plenty of houses within walking distance of their bay beach, which would be ideal for your 3 year old. Traffic would be of little concern if you stayed closer to the beach than downtown. Lewes offers great dining, shopping, and even a scenic harbor. Other than Dewey, it's the closest town to Rehoboth.

And don't confuse newness with cleanliness. I've seen rentals that were not well cared for and kept clean start to look "less than sparkly" within a few years. I've also seen well maintained century old cottages that were as clean as a new place. I personally think the newer ones often lack charm.

You're right about the ocean not being warmed up yet at that time of year. I don't know if the water parks heat their water, but it seems to warm up quickly when the places are crowded.

Wherever you stay, your 3 year old will enjoy the kiddie rides at Funland on the Rehoboth Boardwalk.

Wilmington, Delaware
2. Re: First Time Visitor ? re weekly rentals & geography
Delaware Tourism Office What's this?

It's true that Memorial Day weekend will be crowded - but it's certainly not unmanageable!

The neighborhoods you listed are all located within 1 1/2 miles of the boardwalk. I can personally recommend The Tides! We owned a condo there for 8 years and absolutely loved it. We lived in our Tides unit year-round (full-time) and had no real problems getting into/out of town. The Tides is exactly 1 1/2 miles to the sand - we used to run there and back almost daily. Saturdays are the busiest traffic days in town due to the changeover in rental units (check in/checkout) but it's not unbearable. It will take you 5-7 minutes (at the most) to get in town + time to find a parking spot...which could be quick and painless or time consuming....

The Tides has an immaculate pool and hot tub, gated entry (super safe) and has access to a fantastic trail - perfect for biking/walking! If you have access to bikes, you can bike to town (RB) or bike the trail to Lewes. There is a huge pond in the middle of the community - try to get a unit that has a patio or screened porch that overlooks the pond - super relaxing.

Eagles Landing, Spring Lake, Key's of Marsh Harbor, Edgewater Park and Canal Corkran are all great choices! Out of all of your choices.....Edgewater Park is the closest to downtown - you could walk to breakfast (Crystal Restaurant - locals fav) or to Dogfish (2-3 blocks) but the beach will require a bike or car...if you're traveling with a pack of youngsters.

I second the previous poster's comments about "new"...... most houses/cottages in downtown Rehoboth are a little dated - but extremely charming! New might not always translate into clean :)

Funland is a must! Have fun!

Content provided by Delaware Tourism Office: visitdelaware.com
NY, NY
3. Re: First Time Visitor ? re weekly rentals & geography

Thank you, both. This is great feedback. And I absolutely agree that the older homes have charm and may be clean and lovely. My dilemma was that what's showing as available is either clean looking (no matter the age of the home) and out of my price range or had pics that didn't inspire the greatest of confidence.

As it happens, after I made the original post, I got word about a possible family scheduling issue, so it might be possible for me to re-schedule...I am on hold for a little bit while our schedule becomes a little more clear. (Of course, that means the better places are continuing to book up!)

Given the water temps, a place with a hot tub might be extra nice, so maybe the Tides will be at the top of my list :) The distance to/from the beach sounds great for a morning jog.

And I thought Lewes, esp. since we'll have my 3 year old niece, but I was thinking we may appreciate the greater abundance of restaurants and shops in R.B. better.

I love the idea of renting bikes, and have one home which offers bikes gratis bookmarked...I am hoping the local rental options might have toddler wagons so I can ride with my niece.

Your feedback makes me feel this area is a great choice for the family, and gives me confidence to rent near the trails/lakes further away. Thank you!!!

NY, NY
4. Re: First Time Visitor ? re weekly rentals & geography

Hi, folks! I sought your expert advice concerning a summer rental last year, and as it turns out...the family never made it. After our initial scheduling issue, my sister's doctor instructed not to travel more than an hour or two from home. (She was pregnant with twins.) Well now that the twins are born and healthy, I want to make this family vacation happen!

I have seen some new homes at Grande at Canal Point that look nice, but when I look at Google Maps, I wonder...if you are west of the canal, is the only way to drive to the beach to use routes 1 or 1A? Are there any small passages over the canal? If we prefer to avoid driving, I think this development may be too far (for my parents and for toting kids), but we're considering prime summer, and the costs are so much higher then!

I'm going to look again at the Tides and other developments, but if you can advise about crossing the canal, that would be great. Thanks!

Delaware
reviews: 23
5. Re: First Time Visitor ? re weekly rentals & geography

There no roads crossing the canal other than the main roads, How about driving to Cape Henlopen State Park. The parking lot is right across the dune from the beach.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
reviews: 36
6. Re: First Time Visitor ? re weekly rentals & geography

The Grande at Canal Point is an easy walk or bikeride into town, but there is no other way than over the bridge... it's a little one lane road with a 25 mile an hour speed limit, so it's not like you're going out on the highway... you won't get stuck in any real traffic. You can easily drive to the state park beach in 10 minutes or so... just load the car up with all your beach stuff and head out as early as possible. I like Gordon's Pond, but Deauville Beach is good too. You can rent chairs, umbrellas and even big family tents if you like. Just pack your lunches and have a grand day at the beach. Then you can head back in the early afternoon, take a dip in the pool, get a power nap, get showered and call a cab to take you into town for a nice dinner (and drinks!).

Edited: 1:05 pm, February 26, 2014
NY, NY
7. Re: First Time Visitor ? re weekly rentals & geography

Wow - I never thanked you two for the info. I apologize...and we have ended up renting a house in Lewes, as one of the earliest commenters recommended. We are right off the beach (on Pilot Point) and will be there the last week of August. I'm hoping the water is okay to dip into. If you know of any children's playgrounds nearby, please give a shout. Thanks!!!

St. Michaels...
reviews: 42
8. Re: First Time Visitor ? re weekly rentals & geography

the community of North Shores is quiet and close to the beach. It has a private, heated pool and a playground and a private beach. there are rides available in the beach vehicle to your spot on the beach for those with a physical need. Streets are lightly traveled, good for walks and bikes. I have owned a home here for 50 years. It is the best, though maybe not for your budget. Homes, townhouses and condos for rent.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
9. Re: First Time Visitor ? re weekly rentals & geography

Pilot Point is right next to the Ferry Terminal, and there is a playground there at the Ferry Terminal. It's a great spot! You will enjoy watching the ferries come and go. Our water usually stays warm through September, so I don't think you'll have any issue with that!

Right across the street from you, there is a place called East of Maui which rents all sorts of equipment (standup paddle boards, kayaks, etc) and they will even take them over to the beach and pick them up for you. I highly recommend you check out what they might offer that you would be interested in. http://www.eastofmaui.com/

There is also a fun little café at the terminal which will probably end up being your favorite place to hang out. There is free parking if you want to drive over, but it's also just a short walk from Pilot Point. It's called "On The Rocks" and I LOVE LOVE LOVE their outdoor bar seating area (where you could enjoy an adult beverage while watching the kids playing on the playground equipment). There's also a field there that's often used to throw footballs, Frisbees or practice some soccer. capemaylewesferry.com/AboutUs/…Default.aspx

Have fun!

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
10. Re: First Time Visitor ? re weekly rentals & geography

OH OH OH... The Kalmar Nyckel will be docked at the ferry terminal during your stay. It's a replica of the tall ship that discovered Delaware in 1638, and it's amazing. You simply MUST book a sail. The "Pirate Sails" are especially fun for the kids.http://www.kalmarnyckel.org/Index.asp

Reply to: First Time Visitor ? re weekly rentals & geography
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted