We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delaware / Maryland Beach Vacation

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Delaware / Maryland Beach Vacation

I am looking for a nice beach vacation destination either in Delaware, Maryland or Virginia. The trip is multi-purpose:

1. Our first family vacation with our 3 yo daughter, and the first trip my husband and I have taken without extended family in 6 years;

2. To Celebrate my husband's birthday

3. To allow our daughter to see and enjoy the beach.

4. It will be a 4-5 day prelude to a family visit in Virginia.

I am seeking recommendations for which hotels/condos are best in any of these areas and have the most for both parents and child to do. Also, is it true that Ocean City is a dry city, so we could not enjoy a cocktail at dinner?

Delaware
reviews: 24
1. Re: Delaware / Maryland Beach Vacation

Ocean City maryland is NOT a dry city. You may be confusing that with Ocean City .N.J.

Wilmington, DE
reviews: 31
2. Re: Delaware / Maryland Beach Vacation

With your youngster in mind consider

Lewes DE. They have a nice gentle beach for young ones with the option of ocean beach a mile down the road and easy access to Rehoboth for evening trip to Funland.

Dewey Beach has some family events during summer weekday evenings such as movies on the beach.

Personallly I have always found OC to be too big, noisy and crowded.

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
reviews: 717
3. Re: Delaware / Maryland Beach Vacation

HI,

You would probably like Rehoboth Beach. There is a nice boardwalk and Funland is great for young children. There are tons of restaurants to choose from as well as some nice shopping. There is additional outlet shopping at the Tanger Outlets.

Lewes beach is probably the better beach IF you want to take your little one "swimming". The undertow is stronger in Rehoboth Beach. Also the waves are smaller at the Cape Henlopen State Parl beaches. There is a nice bathhouse and concession stand at the state park beach, but you will have to pay entrance fees. It is a small price to pay to have the bath house & short walk to the beach with your things. Rehoboth does not have a bath house & you will have to pay the meters. Plus you will have to walk through town with your stuff to get to the beach. There is also Beach 1 & 2 in Lewes at the end of Savannah Rd. That is ideal for real young children since there is little to no waves. There is no bath house there & it is metered parking at the edge of the beach (short walk). You can also collect sea shells at this beach or at the point area/ fishing pier area of the state park.

Rehoboth Beach and Lewes are within a short drive of each other. The towns almost blend together. So you can visit both areas. Lewes also has a nice historic downtown area and cute shopping district on 2nd Street. Be sure to stop by Kings Ice Cream on 2nd street for a ice cream cone...delish! There is a FREE musuem in Lewes too called the zwaanadael museum. I thought it was neat as a kid to see the "Merman".

Rehoboth also has miniature golf and a few small waterparks if that interests you too. There is a nice movie theater & the outlet shopping should you get a rainy day. Delaware is tax free shopping!

Hope this helps.

4. Re: Delaware / Maryland Beach Vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 04, 2014