We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with vacationing in DE

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Westchester, NY
reviews: 7
Need help with vacationing in DE

Hi - My husband and I are in our mid-30's and have 2 young children. We are looking to vacation in DE along with my parents and don't have a lot of info about the area. It sounds like there are a lot of family places to vacation in southern DE, but is there anything in northern DE that people would recommend?? We are looking for something fairly sparsely populated (if that exists), with ice cream, a little bit of beach, biking and a few other things to do. The only thing I can compare this to is Narragansett, RI, but again in some areas it's crazy there too. Am willing to wait until late August if that makes a difference. Any help/guidance would be appreciated!! Thank you!

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 28
1. Re: Need help with vacationing in DE

DE's entire eastern border is along water, mostly the DE bay, but the farther north, the less likely you would enjoy "the beach" (if there is one!). Even at Bowers, Slaughter, and Prime Hook beaches, the bugs and smell can get bad (the bay is very shallow along the shoreline and water gets stagnant).

Lewes has a very nice beach at the mouth of the bay that's very suitable for swimming with young children (no typical waves and very gradual slope into deep water). And it's a protected beach (lifeguards), nothing north of there would be.

Any towns & areas to the south of Lewes would offer ocean beaches. Unfortunately, as everywhere, "beach" and "sparsely populated" are mutually exclusive terms in warm weather.

Coming late August would help a lot, but better yet after Labor Day. Great weather, warm water and rates will be much lower. That's the best timeframe if your kids aren't in school yet.

What about Outer Banks NC?

Edited: 4:53 pm, March 26, 2013
Westchester, NY
reviews: 7
2. Re: Need help with vacationing in DE

Thank you so much. This was SO helpful. I appreciate the details about stagnant water as we took a trip a few years ago to Maine and after being in the car for 6 hours the beach was so stinky and stagnant. Not a great trip to say the least. NC isn't an option since we need something within a relatively short driving distance from Allentown, PA. We have an infant and a 2 year old, so Labor Day definitely would work. I'll look into Lewes and Reboboth!

Wilmington, DE
3. Re: Need help with vacationing in DE

Lewes would be a great choice for you. The town beach is on the harbor without waves and shallow. If you decide to go for some ocean beach then Cape Henlopen St Park is a mile or so down the road. Rehoboth is a short drive down the highway for an evening on the boardwalk with Funland providing great entertainment for young kids.

Wilmington, Delaware
4. Re: Need help with vacationing in DE
Delaware Tourism Office What's this?

I echo the comments above from the other contributors. Also, Lewes has a very quaint shopping district with cute stores and good food. It's a very family friendly vibe. You mentioned ice cream above...Lewes is home to King's Ice Cream - an iconic stop on Second St. You will love it! Great restaurants to try include Rose and Crown, Agave (not sure if they have highchairs), Touch of Italy and Striper Bites. If you're interested in relaxed fare with a great view of the marina/fishing boats - try Irish Eyes.

Rehoboth Beach is only a 10 minute drive from Lewes (considerably longer on Saturdays/Sundays in July and August - 20-30 minutes). It's def. worth exploring - beautiful boardwalk, arcades, candy store and a family friendly amusement park called Funland.

Enjoy!

Content provided by Delaware Tourism Office: visitdelaware.com
Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
5. Re: Need help with vacationing in DE

Um, the previous poster, if familiar with Lewes, would already know that the Rose & Crown is long gone, but reincarnated as "Jerry's Seafood."

Southeastern...
reviews: 57
6. Re: Need help with vacationing in DE

I think she's referring to Jay Caputo's new restaurant in Lewes, located where Beseme used to be in the Hotel Rodney. It opened last November. Caputo named it the Rose & Crown in honor of the beloved old one.

http://roseandcrownlewes.com/

Edited: 12:34 am, March 28, 2013
Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
7. Re: Need help with vacationing in DE

My apologies to DE Tourism then.

This HAS to be good if it's Jay's, but I have mixed feelings about resurrecting the "Rose & Crown" name.

I miss the original. It was unique, but IMO, a lot of what made it special can't be put back together again.

Seems to me the name should be "retired" in honor of it's hallowed memory.

Also, for dining on the harbor, give Gilligan's a try. Much smaller than Irish Eyes or the Wharf, but better food, a "nautical" atmosphere, and a lively happy hour crowd (mostly locals).

Wilmington, Delaware
8. Re: Need help with vacationing in DE
Delaware Tourism Office What's this?

Thanks for the apologies, Daddio361! :) Rose and Crown is very good - you should check it out. It's in Hotel Rodney in the former Beseme location. Great draft beer selection, great menu and fantastic ambiance.

I live in Rehoboth and am very familiar with the local and touristy haunts :)

Content provided by Delaware Tourism Office: visitdelaware.com
Philadelphia...
9. Re: Need help with vacationing in DE

Which of these beaches would you recommend if I just want to relax on the beach and enjoy the water with 2 toddlers and an infant. We also like our privacy (unheard of at the beach I know) and don't care too much for shopping.

Thanks

Wilmington, DE
10. Re: Need help with vacationing in DE

Lewes Beach would be less stressful with the little ones. The water is calm and a shallow slope. The others would require CONSTANT eyeballs on the little folk