We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report!

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC
reviews: 8
Trip report!

Just wanted to thank all you good people for the help and advice last month. We had two days and nights in early October--gorgeous weather, warm enough to swim. Saw tons of dolphins each morning, an unexpected treat. I shot some video of them:

http://youtu.be/BFashMaNlHw

We stayed at the Atlantic Sands, which was fine, and had an ocean-front balcony. The beach was almost empty most of the time. We had a breakfast at Mariachi--decent Mexican food, authentic. Discovered an excellent cafe called Cage a Go-Go, featuring really fresh, delicious coffee, which I believe is roasted locally. I went there both mornings quite early so I could drink coffee and walk on the beach (I'm an early riser, my wife sleeps in). We had an fantastic dinner at Henlopin City Oyster House--murdered a couple dozen raw oysters, which were super fresh and tasty. That was the highlight as far as dining goes, but we also had very good meals at Saketumi, Dogfish Head, and Dos Locos.

The high point of the trip was Cape Henlopin State Park. We did a lot of hiking there--out to the end of the pier, along a number of trails, out to the tip of the cape. It was gorgeous and tranquil. We saw some ospreys (and turkey vultures) and watched the ferry heading to Cape May...it was a great day.

So now we have a new vacation destination. There's a great vibe in Rehoboth--nice people, lots of independent businesses and restaurants, a great stretch of beach, and a friendly feel. I took lots of pictures and will post them here soon.

Thanks again!

Scott

Southeastern...
reviews: 57
1. Re: Trip report!

Great video of the dolphins! So glad you had a good time.

Washington DC
2. Re: Trip report!

Thanks!

Oops--that was supposed to be Cafe a Go-Go, not Cage a Go-Go. Which sounds like a very different type of establishment...

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
reviews: 586
3. Re: Trip report!

Thanks for the video! You can post your video on Tripadvisor under your videos section for destinations...rehoboth beach...IF you want. That is a really great video!

Thanks again!

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
reviews: 36
4. Re: Trip report!

Great trip report! Thanks for sharing!

Next time you come, be sure to do the Gordon's Pond hike if you haven't yet. You park at the Gordon's Pond end of Cape Henlopen State Park and follow a somewhat hidden trail over near the beach access for vehicles. For about a mile, it's gravel out to an observation platform, then you can walk the dune trail from there all the way to Herring Point (about 5 miles -- somewhat strenuous in parts). It's only open in the winter (Oct to Feb I think). Once you get to Herring Point, you can either go back the way you came (if it's windy) or hike down to the beach from Herring Point and walk all the way back on the beach. We love this trail, but try to time it at low tide and on less windy days. You will feel awesome when you get back to the car!

Washington DC
5. Re: Trip report!

CloneJessie--thanks for the suggestion! We did not do that hike--just not enough time. But we will definitely be back, maybe as early as January. Sounds like a fun walk.

Daisyferret1--glad you liked the video, and I'll definitely post it, along with some of the state park and a bunch of photos. Good idea--thanks!

Hope all of you weren't too affected by the monster storm. We watched live footage of Rehoboth on the Weather Channel, right on the boardwalk, and it looked brutal...

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
reviews: 36
6. Re: Trip report!

Rehoboth got lucky (yet again).... only minor damage. Just south of here, though, they got badly battered. Some of Dewey is gone. The IR Bridge is still closed (four feet of sand on the road), and parts of Bethany Beach were badly flooded.

Southeastern...
reviews: 57
7. Re: Trip report!

CJessie,

I've read this:

>> The piers at The Rusty Rudder and Northbeach were both significantly damaged, with whole sections missing. The ground floor of Northbeach is covered in sand, and one corner of the building was partially knocked off the foundation. A section of dune fencing was displaced by the storm surge, taking a light fixture with it. At The Rusty Rudder, a section of the deck was damaged. Next door at Ruddertowne, the deck at The Lighthouse sustained damage, and the Ruddertowne construction project is covered in water. However, work there is continuing. <<

What leads you to say "Some of Dewey is gone"?

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 28
8. Re: Trip report!

wythany, what you posted is accurate. NorthBeach took a bad hit, jutting out the way they do. They took in about six feet of water. Their pier has maybe a dozen deckboards left attached. RR's deck and pier are in comparatively better shape. Lighthouse deck was damaged but they're open. Most piers appear to have sustained varying degrees of damage. Also saw a bayfront home on Vista that had plenty of siding ripped off, and the roofing on the house behind it had been mostly peeled off

I see very little damage to oceanfront properties, aside from erosion and storm surge damage. Of course the dune fences are all torn up.

The bayfront properties were badly battered because the wind was primarily from the north as the storm approached, then switched to west and finally south. This alone pushed a lot of water, and would have caused flooding without the astromical high tide.

Dewey is still in active clean up mode, with dozens of dumpsters in various staging areas. The hum of wet-vacs can still be heard on most streets west of Coastal Hwy.

Lewes beach again took a beating since it faces north. There were boats and various stairways strewn along the beach in front of the main parking lot. Some of these stairways had just been rebuilt/repaired after the last storm. Erosion appeared to be just as bad this time. The entire stretch between this beach and the canal took on a lot of water. Cape Gazette had some pretty dramatic photos of this, but I can't find them now.

Edited: 7:37 pm, November 03, 2012
9. Re: Trip report!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 05, 2013