We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surprise Birthday Trip!

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
reviews: 24
Surprise Birthday Trip!

Hi all!

I'm taking my boyfriend on a surprise birthday trip to Rehoboth this weekend to make a pilgrimage to the Dogfish Head Brewpub. I figure we'll hit dinner there once or twice and then I'll take him on a tour of the brewery. Now I'm rounding out the rest of the itinerary (or at least the list of options he can choose from).

I found a nice little drive starting in Cape Henlopen, then going through Lewes and Rehoboth before heading to Delaware Seashore State Park and ending in Fenwick Island State Park. Does anyone know of any nice restaurants along that route? Stops we should make along the way? I love seafood, but my boyfriend doesn't like anything that looks like it was when it was alive (although he's not vegetarian).

Any other suggestions for things to do while we're in town?

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 29
1. Re: Surprise Birthday Trip!

First, the brewery tour is very popular, and even at this time of year, I'd check to see if you need reservations. No tours Sunday or Monday. Call 888-8Dogfish or go to:

www.dogfish.com

As for "nice" restaurants, if you mean a little dressy and romantic, I always suggest The Buttery in Lewes. Lewes is a "must" stop, it's small "downtown" district is well worth a stroll, and there are a handful of restaurants dockside along the scenic harbor.

Rehoboth has plenty of distinctive restaurants; I'd check reviews here to locate one that would work. If your boyfriend is a "landlubber," 1776 serves up a fine steak dinner and atmosphere qualifies as romantic (don't let the strip mall location deter you).

Dewey and Bethany are fairly quiet this time of year, and there's not much else along your drive, but when you get to Fenwick, maybe check out either Smitty McGee's or Harpoon Hannah's for drinks and casual but good. dining with a view. More selections if you head further south into OCMD.

As for other things to do, meet and greet the greyhounds and their owners...they'll be hard to miss this weekend!

Too bad you're not here right now, it's beautiful at the moment...

Edited: 5:21 pm, October 02, 2012
Southeastern...
reviews: 59
2. Re: Surprise Birthday Trip!

The Buttery is outstanding -- traditional but doesn't feel stuffy.

We've liked Harpoon Hannah's. Also can recommend Nantucket in Fenwick and Northeast Seafood in Ocean View.

In Bethany, Mango's has the best location, oceanfront. Do NOT, NOT, NOT order food. Just get a drink that's hard to screw up (beer is perfect) and enjoy the fabulous oceanfront view.

I see from your profile that you're the target age group for Seacrets in Ocean City. http://seacrets.com/ocean-city-md-homepage It's like nothing else on the DE/MD coast. Just go and wander around even if you don't want to eat there. Really, it's quite an experience! Live music on weekends.

Finally, I have to mention that Sunday is the annual Celebrity Chefs' Beach Brunch in Dewey Beach. A fundraiser for Meals on Wheels.

…ticketleap.com/celebrity-chefs-beach-brunch/

Tickets are pricey, but it's a great cause and you cannot imagine how scrumptious the food is! Rehoboth is renowned for its great restaurants and nearly every outstanding chef in the area participates, serving little amuse bouche portions of a specialty. It's three hours of bliss for foodies. And Dogfish Head is always there!

Hope you have a great weekend and your boyfriend appreciates your efforts to plan a wonderful surprise getaway.

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
reviews: 717
3. Re: Surprise Birthday Trip!

HI,

I like the Cottage Cafe in Bethany beach and Big Fish Grill in Rehoboth. I am not really a seafood lover myself. I usually stick to chicken or beef. The cottage cafe has a nice pot roast! Big Fish has a decent chicken sandwich. In lewes, I like the Greene Turtle (classic pub food).

Hope this helps some.

Pottstown...
reviews: 20
4. Re: Surprise Birthday Trip!

Big Fish or Harpoon Hannas...my top 2 picks.

Washington, DC
reviews: 24
5. Re: Surprise Birthday Trip!

Thanks, everyone! I'm springing the surprise on him today after work. Will have a drink at Mango's for all of you. :-)

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 29
6. Re: Surprise Birthday Trip!

If you decide to visit Lewes, there's a lot going on this weekend:

www.leweschamber.com/events/index.htm

Wilmington, Delaware
7. Re: Surprise Birthday Trip!
Delaware Tourism Office What's this?

Go Bluecoast or Big Fish for dinner! They're both right on Rt. 1.

Also - since you're into beers....I highly recommend checking out Henlopen City Oyster House and Fins Fish House and Raw Bar. Both have amazing beer selections on draft.....you'll be amazed!!

Content provided by Delaware Tourism Office: visitdelaware.com
Southeastern...
reviews: 59
8. Re: Surprise Birthday Trip!

DelTourism -- Note that the OP visited the first weekend in October.

9. Re: Surprise Birthday Trip!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, December 14, 2013