We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Gerar Park

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC
reviews: 8
Lake Gerar Park

Thanks to all of you, we have a place to stay in early October--the Atlantic Sands--and now I have a question about Lake Gerar Park. Obviously we'll spend a lot of time on the beach, but I see this nearby park on Google Earth and am wondering if it's a nice place to walk, sit and read, etc...and if there are other nearby parks or natural areas to take a hike and enjoy the scenery.

Thanks!

Johnstown...
reviews: 21
1. Re: Lake Gerar Park

For hiking, check out the Junction & Breakwater Trail...six miles from Rehoboth Beach to Cape Henlopen State Park...and you definitely have to check out Cape Henlopen State Park...one of the most beautiful parks in my opinion.

Washington DC
2. Re: Lake Gerar Park

Fantastic--thanks!

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
reviews: 36
3. Re: Lake Gerar Park

Yes, the park is a nice spot for a stroll. I live near the park and it's great. It has a little playground for kids and there is a nice sidewalk that goes around the park.

There is also a trail at Gordon's Pond which is the state park beach closest to town (down at the end of Surf Ave). There is a park fee to get in, but the beach is fabulous there and the trail goes about a mile out to a bird observation deck.

There is also a dune trail that you can take from the observation deck all the way to Herring Point in Lewes (about 5 miles). It is only open in the off season. We often walk it and then walk back on the beach... very nice 1/2 day hike.

Washington DC
4. Re: Lake Gerar Park

Funny, I'm on Google Earth right now looking up these locations.

Thanks for the additional tips--I see Gordon Pond wildlife Area on the map. Looks nice.

Can't wait to go...

Thanks again to all!

Johnstown...
5. Re: Lake Gerar Park

Schilke,

Hope you have a fantastic time. As CloneJessie stated there is a fee to enter Cape Henlopen State Park...for out of state vehicles it's $8.00...but I'm not sure if that also applies to people who walk in if you're going to go via trail...also at Cape Henlopen is Fort Miles, a World War II garrison which you can tour as well as a World War II Observation Tower and they also have a really nice pier as well as a nature center. If you go to Cape Henlopen State Park here on Trip Advisor there's pictures you can see of the park, the same with the Junction Breakwater Trail.

Washington DC
6. Re: Lake Gerar Park

Great info. My father was a WWII vet so the garrison sounds like a nice place to visit.

I love TripAdvisor...

Johnstown...
7. Re: Lake Gerar Park

Fort Miles is very interesting, I'm sure you'll like it...and I love Trip Advisor as well!!

Wilmington, Delaware
8. Re: Lake Gerar Park
Delaware Tourism Office What's this?

Lake Gerar is a beautiful park! It's a great spot for birding, people watching and enjoying the day. There is a large lake, several benches, a bike/path and a tot lot. Its the perfect spot to sit and relax. I also HIGHLY recommend visiting Gordon's Pond - which is inside Capr Henlopen State Park. You can access it from Rehoboth via Surf Ave. - nearby your hotel~ Have fun!!

Content provided by Delaware Tourism Office: visitdelaware.com
Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 28
9. Re: Lake Gerar Park

First, a clarification:

Although the scenic Junction & Breakwater Rail-Trail runs within Cape Henlopen SP, you can't get to any of the main park areas from it. They charge park entrance fees at the Wolfe Neck Rd. parking lot, but not if you park behind Tanger Seaside Outlets.

Gordon's Pond and the Lewes (beyond the Ferry terminal) access areas are at opposite ends of the vast park, but if you pay the entrance fee at any of the three access points, and then drive to another, it will be honored on the same day. The entrance fee is per car; no fee if you walk or bike in.

Also, sounds like you might want to check out Silver Lake and Grove Park as well....Silver Lake isn't officially a park, but it's enjoyable to walk around it.

Washington DC
10. Re: Lake Gerar Park

Thanks for the update and additional info. Silver lake looks great!