We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On my own in Rehoboth-what can I do?

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Amherst, New...
reviews: 20
On my own in Rehoboth-what can I do?

It's not often that this happens. As usual, every year or so my girlfriends and I rent a cottage in Rehoboth. This year I'd planned to go for a week during the 2011 shoulder season. Initially, I was going to be sharing a cottage with between three and six other people and so I rented a larger cottage, anticipating last-minute tag-alongs. Now, those who were to be my travel mates are suffering thru unexpected family illness and job loss, and it turns out that I'll now be traveling to Rehoboth alone. I don't really mind this as much as I thought I might...in fact, in an odd way, I'm actually looking forward to the solitude and chance to set my own schedule. So please help me with suggestions on what to do. I like art, history, shopping, reading, swimming, etc. I know a lot about Rehoboth, but from the perspective of being part of a group of women all deciding how to have fun. Typically, we do the outlet thing, the beach/boardwalk/Funland and drinks on the porch in the evening thing; and generally try to get to a few museums or art shows in Rehoboth, or take bikes over to state park, or ride the ferry over to Cape May for a day trip. I can't think that a lot of these things would be much fun alone. So...just how should a lone vacationer amuse heself for for a week? I love the beach/boardwalk/outlet activities, but unsure about how happy I'll feel if that's the be-all of my time in Rehoboth. Help!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 36
1. Re: On my own in Rehoboth-what can I do?

You don't say how old you are and didn't mention bar hopping as one of the favorite things to do. Seems you have hit the hi lights of Rehoboth so hopefully you will meet some people to hang out with (neighbors) just suggest that you be careful as a single women about the friends you make.

Amherst, New...
2. Re: On my own in Rehoboth-what can I do?

Hi neslaw1- thanks for the feedback. I'm in my early 40s, so would definitely be able to bar hop if that's what I was into, but I'm really not, especially on my own. Too risky. It's too bad that there's not a website that connects single travelers searching for activities to participate in with other single travelers. After all, it seems like there's a website for everything else under the sun.

Southeastern...
reviews: 49
3. Re: On my own in Rehoboth-what can I do?

You're probably familiar with Rehoboth Art League. In addition to the exhibits and sale gallery, they offer classes. Some are 2-3 days in a row so you might find something that fits your schedule. Have you visited the Rehoboth Beach Museum at the circle? Small but fun.

On Rehoboth Ave. you can paint your own pottery at Creatable Crafts. They also offer occasional workshops. (The website is way out of date, unfortunately.)

If you've never visited Lewes, that's worth at least a half-day of exploration. Great shopping on Second Street -- leweschamber.com/business-directory/places-s… -- and some very good restaurants. Zwaanendael Museum is a few blocks away -- commemorating the Dutch settlement of Lewes in 1631. Right down the road is Cape Henlopen State Park, which has a nice Nature Center, and also Fort Miles Historical Area, dating back to WWII.

Assateague Island, about half an hour south of Ocean City, MD, is a beautiful place. I've read they have a new visitor center, but the main attraction is seeing the ponies, and also the sika deer. www.nps.gov/asis/planyourvisit/hours.htm

In case you haven't found it, this is a good calendar of events: rehoboth.com/events-a-activities/calendar-of… There's a ton of stuff going on in September!

This article is old, but it addresses the thought you have about connecting single travelers. Turns out there are quite a few websites for that, but none that seem to fit this particular situation. http://www.frommers.com/articles/2590.html

Hope you have a good time, whatever you end up doing.

Amherst, New...
4. Re: On my own in Rehoboth-what can I do?

Thanks for all your great suggesions, Wythany, I'll keep them in mind. I heard about Assateague as a kid growing up in Maryland (Prince Frederick and College Park), but we never got to go and I had forgotten about the place after we moved north. Now I'm definitely putting that on my "to see" list! Thanks again :-)

Delaware
reviews: 9
5. Re: On my own in Rehoboth-what can I do?

If I had a weekend alone in Rehoboth, my list would probably look something like this:

1. Weather permitting, veg on the beach with a great book. Take a nap, too.

2. Meander through art galleries in Rehoboth (Kevin Fleming's is great)

3. Spend a full afternoon, at least, strolling around Lewes, mostly for the antique shops.

4. Spa treatments at Bad Hair Day?

5. Hit a few outlet shops for some bargains, especially if the weather is not great.

6. At least one dinner at Nage.

7. Find a seat at the bar at Dogfish for happy hour.

Have fun!

Amherst, New...
6. Re: On my own in Rehoboth-what can I do?

Thanks DETraveler78. I have the six books I'll be reading already picked out and ready to go! Thanks for the suggestion about Dogfish and Nage :-)

7. Re: On my own in Rehoboth-what can I do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, October 15, 2012