We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jack Lingo misrepresents their rental properties

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Annapolis, Maryland
reviews: 10
Jack Lingo misrepresents their rental properties

We recently rented 27 Philadelphia from Jack Lingo rentals. It was advertised as having 5 bedrooms but only had 4 plus an entrance area that had two broken bunk beds. The place was in need of serious repair since the porch was barely usable, the outside hadn't been painted in at least 20 years and the fence was rotted and needed replacing. When you opened the front door you walked right into the broken bunk beds. No one would risk any child or adult sleeping in them.

On the day we checked out we ran into the cleaning lady who told us that the place was to be torn down in two weeks and a new house built. This is appropriate, but the problem is that the place was in no condition to be rented for the summer season 2011.

We have rented in Rehoboth Beach before and have never encountered a problem. Jack Lingo obviously has no standards and does not check on the quality of their rental properties.

We will never rent from Jack Lingo again and we would recommend that others personally visit and inspect any property before renting from this company.

Lewes, Delaware
reviews: 117
21. Re: Jack Lingo misrepresents their rental properties

I walked by the property this morning, and I found it hard to believe that it was the same property that is the subject of this thread. It presents well; it is not new but it does not look run down or dilapidated.

There are demolition notices posted, which gave pause to consider that demolition does not mean condemnation.

The property was not overgrown, however the screened porch area did have large shrubbery which appeared intentional as a privacy screen, given the fact that the property is very close to the sidewalk.

I have no idea of the interior condition, but given what I feel is gross exaggeration of the exterior, I would have to take any complaint or description with a grain of salt. I will go back and take pictures and make them available for anyones perusal.

Amherst, New...
reviews: 20
22. Re: Jack Lingo misrepresents their rental properties

It's unfair and not true to say that Lingo's doesn't offer walk-thrus of properties: They most certainly do. This is how my father and cousin found so many great cottages; by scheduling showings in the shoulder and off-seasons. I don't know how they (the rental agents) feel about tour requests during high season, because I imagine they are much busier during that time. However, if they want the business, it's in their best interest to make sure the prospective customer gets a tour. And, as Lingo's has been in business operating as a family-owned, private agency for decades, I think they must be pleasing their customers and meeting expectations to a high degree. Businesses that don't please, won't stay in business long.

Lastly, I'd like to state that the impression I have from reading some posts is that they are from people who feel they either can't afford to tour ahead of time, or they aren't even working with their agent in the first place to ensure that a tour happens.

Annapolis, Maryland
reviews: 10
23. Re: Jack Lingo misrepresents their rental properties

Kjosker,

Whether a property is run down and dilapidated is a matter of judgment. In my judgment and that of the other three adults in our family group that stayed there in August, 27 Philadelphia is run down and dilapidated. Just looking at the outside, the exterior has not been painted in more than 20 years, the fence is rotted and about to fall down and all the bushes and trees are overgrown and have not been trimmed in many years. Others who agree with us about the poor condition of this property are the maintenance man who was there on two days during the week of our visit and the cleaning lady whom we met on the final day of our stay. That is a total of 6 adults who have personal knowledge and believe the property is in poor condition. Now some may say because the walls are still standing and the property is not yet condemned by the City of Rehoboth Beach that the property is okay. Of course, the owners may agree with us about the run down condition of this property since they have properly decided to have it bulldozed and torn down.

The point of our posts is simply that Jack Lingo does not have any quality controls and that it is buyer beware when renting from this agency.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 28
24. Re: Jack Lingo misrepresents their rental properties

No need to worry about future tenants being deceived, this place is GONE!

Edited: 8:19 pm, October 10, 2011
Amherst, New...
25. Re: Jack Lingo misrepresents their rental properties

So sad! Too many of those old beauties are torn down instead of rehabed whenthe new owners--who many times aren't even a single-owner family but a non-resident investment concern the members of which have probably never even been to Rehoboth, much less seen the house in person before purchasing. I won't be surprised to go back to Rehoboth this Sept. and see a McMansion Monstrosity (or two!) wedged into the same lot. I know some people like that kind of thing, but I'll take a wonky old vintage cottage with a history and oodles of charm over a new and modern McMansion anyday of the week! It's really a hurtful thing to see Rehoboth's old seaside neighborhoods going away to be turned into another crappy little version of most NJ beach towns. No wonder crime rate is rising. The town should get involved to enact and enforce a strict building code in the historic areas; before it's too late.

Edited: 7:27 am, March 26, 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
26. Re: Jack Lingo misrepresents their rental properties

I have rented with the Lingo's for many years. I have always found them to be very concerned about the quality of the homes they rent. Any time we have had an issue....which has been very few....they have always corrected the issue right away. I think it is unfair for you to take one bad experience........also in a one sided story you put down a business that has been around for years. Did you allow the Lingo's to help clear this matter up before you trashed them on this website? I do suggest you take your business else where.....hopefully, you will be better served. As for me, I will continue to rent from the Lingo's.

Amherst, New...
27. Re: Jack Lingo misrepresents their rental properties

Mike M, thanks for bringing some perspective to this discussion. I will always rent from Lingo's. In terms of quantity, they may not be able to compete with the huge commercial franchises, but I think Lingo's has the best rental stock, in the best area. I've heard horror stories about other rental agencies' properties--owners making surprise visits, for one; and no functioning plumbing in another instance...egads!

28. Re: Jack Lingo misrepresents their rental properties

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 13, 2014