We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General Area Questions

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC area
reviews: 5
General Area Questions

Hi all,

I'm planning to visit the week of Aug 29. Just wondering if anyone has any tips on some general questions:

1- Is there a specific address for the Park & Ride that I can put in my GPS? I've been to Rehoboth several times & still have never been able to find it.

2 - Last year I discovered Cape Henlopen State Park. I thought I remembered they had a 3 day pass deal but I didn't see it listed on the website. Anybody know if there is anything like that offered this year?

3- I wanted to take a day trip to Cape May but it looks like taking the car over is too expensive. Would it be worth it to go over as foot passenger & ride the shuttle to the beach & shopping area? The website was a bit confusing on the foot passenger cost.

4 - Has crime increased a lot this year? Early 50's female traveling alone & I've always felt pretty safe in this area. Just read a previous post that got me wondering if I need to make a point to skedaddle before dark this year.

Maryland Line...
reviews: 69
1. Re: General Area Questions

The Park and Ride is almost the first thing you come to on Country Club Road. Country Club Rd. is a dead-end road: a right turn off Route One immediately after the last outlet mall, heading south. So get in the right lane at least a mile ahead of time. . . I have found the ferry ride peaceful and pleasant but Cape May of little interest.

Maryland Line...
reviews: 69
2. Re: General Area Questions

I did a little more research to confirm or deny my Park N Ride memory. It may be that "Shuttle Road" is a better name to put into your GPS. Shuttle Road does not appear on my map software, but It is named in another TripAdvisor post about parking options. I believe it merges into or meets Country Club Road and that is why I (and the software) confuse it with Country Club Road. In any case, I believe the first right turn after the last outlet mall -- at a stoplight -- is your best bet.

Washington, DC area
3. Re: General Area Questions

Thanks so much for replying. Are there signs in the parking lot identifying it as a the park & ride? I thought I found it before but I didn't see any signs & the lot was pretty empty at the time so I wasn't sure that was it.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 29
4. Re: General Area Questions

1. Try entering Jungle Jim's (36944 Country Club Rd., RB DE 19971)....the Park & Ride lot is right across the street from it.

2. You can ask, but I don't recall ever hearing about a three day pass, only daily or full-season. Daily for out of state (coastal SP's) is $8. for out-of-state cars.

3. They have shuttle service 7 days a week (until Oct. 1) between the ferry terminal and downtown Cape May. A round trip fare with shuttle is $22. You can check for other scheduled events for foot passengers here: (or ask at the terminal.)

www.capemaylewesferry.com

4. There are "crimes of opportunity" in any beach resort town, which is why you seldom see a bike parked without a lock. I'm not aware of any recent upswing. If you walk the avenue or boardwalk, you can't go far without seeing a cop foot patrolling. Relax and enjoy your vacation.

Lewes, Delaware
reviews: 158
5. Re: General Area Questions

Regarding the walk-on ferry from Lewes to Cape May, please consider the following:

Unless you catch the 815 or 915 sailings, you won't have much time in Cape May, as any sailing later than these two get you to Cape May at 1140am or later. By the time the shuttle gets you to the Cape May Transportation Terminal, it will be sometime after Noon. The last shuttle back to the ferry leaves at 515pm, meaning you should be at the Terminal by 5pm. So you will have just under 5 hours in Cape May. From the Cape May Transportation Terminal, you are a short walk to the Washington St shopping area, an attractive destination in itself. The beaches are just on the cusp of being walkable from the Transportation Terminal. With no gear, it is more doable. The more gear you have, the less attractive it becomes. Taxi cabs would be an option. There may be local public transportation, but I'm not familiar with it.

Bottom line is, if you're not intent upon beaching it, a few hours on Washington St, shopping, sightseeing, and a lunch, makes for an enjoyable day.

Washington, DC area
6. Re: General Area Questions

Thanks All for the great tips. I didn't realize the ferry schedule was so limited. Since I'm really more of a beach person I may not end up making it over to Cape May after all.

For the State Parks, once you pay to go in, can you leave & come back on the same day pass or would you have to pay again if you wanted to go out & return?

Also, I was looking at 2 possible day spas to check out - Ocean Retreat & Inner Reflections. Anybody have any recommendations? I would be interested in a massage.

Lewes, Delaware
reviews: 158
7. Re: General Area Questions

While I was out today, I looked for the Park & Ride lot. Going south on Coastal Highway (Route 1), the lot is clearly indicated by one of those green overhead signs. They direct you to turn right on Shuttle Rd., which has a County Bank and Holiday Inn Express on the far right corner. A little ways down Shuttle Rd, on the left hand side is the Park & Ride lot, completely fenced in, paved, and attended.

Washington, DC area
8. Re: General Area Questions

Great!! Thanks so much. That will be a great option when I want to go downtown & not worry about the parking hassle.

9. Re: General Area Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, October 12, 2012