We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holly Haven Guest House

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Woodbridge, New...
reviews: 25
Holly Haven Guest House

I have heard that this is a modest guest house, with three floors.

A previous Christian Retreat, the owner maintains many of the same expectations and you will find "Jesus: on placards throughout.

On the first floor, there is a VERY loud bell that rings when there is a phone call, apparently the owner finds her knowing there is a call more important than the comfort of her guests. Don't stay on the first floor unless you have a tolerance for an early morning wake up call, virtually every day by 8am.

Rooms are not cleaned during your stay and furnishings are bare bones. Beds however have firm and comfortable mattresses. Location is excellent, 3 houses from the beach. Window mounted AC is satisfactory for even the hottest of days.

The place is clean and well-maintained. Every floor (three floors, four rooms), shares one very small bathroom. The only amenities are a water cooler on the first floor, clothesline in the back yard next to the outdoor showers (2 and only), a small set of thin towels, two small microwaves, coffee/tea in the am, large front porch with games in case of rain, and a place to park one car.

Don't make noise, don't have noisy children, don't exhibit signs of an alternate lifestyle, don't use the microwave after ten, you get the idea.

If a moderately priced clean room near the beach is all you need, this is an excellent value. But that is all you get.

Has anyone else experienced intolerance at this location, my concern is that is what this place is like, have you been here?

GAITHERSBURG
reviews: 22
1. Re: Holly Haven Guest House

I stayed at Holly Haven in August of 2011 with my daughter, her mother-in-law and sister-in-law. We had 2 rooms, each with twin beds. Yes, the rooms were not fancy but they did have the beds, a table, a dresser, lamps, and a small refrigerator and were very comfortable. We brought our own bath and beach towels. which for the price we paid was no big deal. I have stayed at other places similar to this in Rehoboth Beach and the advantage to this particular place is the location - a few houses from the beach, and the parking spot for each room. Haidi and her husband, the owners, were very friendly and welcoming. Children are welcome there but the place is quiet. There are religious references all over the house but I never once felt or saw any signs of intolerance. My daughter and I were on the second floor and it was very quiet. The other two were on the first floor, right near the owner's apartment and it was also very quiet. The bathrooms were small and shared, but kept very clean and you don't hang out in there anyway. The showers were out back, enclosed and very clean.

I have only good things to say about Holly Haven. The price is right and if you are looking for a reasonable, quiet and pleasant place to stay, this would be a good choice. If you want a busy party atmosphere, keep on looking.

I would definitely stay there again!

Amherst, New...
reviews: 20
2. Re: Holly Haven Guest House

The question about "intolerance" is odd. Rehoboth's history is positively steeped in religion. Read up on its origins as a Christian seaside retreat for those seeking spiritual and physical well-being. In fact, the name "Rehoboth" is from the Hebrew loosely translated meaning "room for all." And Rehoboth certainly has all types. However, I think if a private establishment wants to cater to a more traditional clientelle (and I'm not saying Holly Haven does; I've never stayed there), then it should not be labeled "intolerant" for doing so. I have to believe that Rehoboth's many gay establishments would not be suitable for Christian, traditional, non-homosexual patrons; neither do I beleive these establishments would be particularly welcoming of people who did not share their values and beliefs about sexuality. Intolerance happens both ways. Which makes me more sure that what's being disputed is not whether one person or business is intolerant, but whether it's ok to impune someone else's beliefs simply for the fact that they are less popular at the moment than your own.

Woodbridge, New...
3. Re: Holly Haven Guest House

According to your logic it is OK to discriminate against Gay people because they are likely to discriminate against straight Christians.

But in any case, if one caters to a clientelle one has an obligation to make this clear, not show disapproval of a guest.

Not understanding the comment about impuning someone's beliefs?

4. Re: Holly Haven Guest House

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:34 am, September 14, 2011
Amherst, New...
5. Re: Holly Haven Guest House

Drewho, because you seem to be reading a lot into my reply, more simplistically put, here's my logic:

Speaking personally as a straight woman who has gay friends, I would not expect, generally speaking, to be comfortable in any of Rehoboth's gay inns, most of which are openly so, and make a point of stating this in their advertising.

Conversely I would not expect a gay couple to be comforable in an openly traditional Christian home that advertises as such.

A vegeterian wouldn't go to a steakhouse expecting tofu on the menu. A meat eater wouldn't go to a vegetarian cafe expecting prime rib.

I don't see how you could read "discriminate" into any part of my reply; especially since I wrote in response to what I thought were very critical and reaching statements made by you. I won't go so far as to say you were discriminatory, but if others' reading this use the term with the same misunderstanding and indiscretion as yourself, then they just might.

It's unclear to me whether you've actually ever even stayed at the inn.

Here's you're initial post:

"I have heard that this is a modest guest house, with three floors."

It's easy to throw around the discrimation label to feel like you've done your righteous deed for the day; however, I suggest you be more judicious about where you choose to use the term, and save it for when there's actual discrimination happening. Indiscriminate use of negative labels in support of your viewpoint undermines not only the meaning behind the word, but also reduces the power and legitimacy of your own assertions..

Edited: 5:40 am, September 14, 2011
Woodbridge, New...
6. Re: Holly Haven Guest House

As a straight man, my wife and I have enjoyed a fine time at openly gay friendly establishments.

You presume the establishment is advertised as catering to Christians while I state that it does not do so.

Stand by my comments.

Edited: 12:34 pm, September 15, 2011
Newark, Delaware
reviews: 70
7. Re: Holly Haven Guest House

This is probably too reasonable of a conversation for the internet.

Anyway, thought I might as well add my thoughts. I have not been to Holly Haven, but I thought I could be a fair judge on their branding/advertising, just by visiting their website. I see both sides, as it seems like any small hotel or B&B for the most part, but under the History section it goes into more about the Methodist origins. I would just have assumed this was only referencing the history of the building and that some things were kept the same for historical interest. The only thing the current owners do to indicate any religious/discriminatory beliefs are in the very last sentence on the site, here are the last two: "In 1999 the property came to Haide and Bill Earl who own and operate "Holly Haven" today. Their desire is that the property under their management would continue to reflect the wholesome and quiet lifestyle that prevailed during the times that the community was established".

So really it comes down to the word "wholesome"....Which probably could mean anything anyone wanted it to, in this case may mean, "not gay".

It would be nice to know if Drewho actually went there or knows anyone that has dealt with this issue, because the whole point would moot if the hotel is being unfairly labeled prematurely.

Regardless of any of this, hotel owners should not treat their paying clients differently.

Amherst, New...
8. Re: Holly Haven Guest House

Well said, BBNugget. Thanks for bringing your thoughtful rationale to this subject.

As it were, I'm supposed to be in Rehoboth RIGHT NOW, but have had to postpone a few days due to a family matter. I saw on the weather channel that Rehoboth is enjoying beautiful weather today, while here in NH the weather is nice, but deceptively chilly at 40 degrees. It was in the 80s last week...how does this happen!

I'm going to check out Holly Haven when I do eventually get down there. All this talk has sparked an interest.

Southeastern...
reviews: 58
9. Re: Holly Haven Guest House

slynne, Not sure what your weather source is, but it has rained most of the day here (saturday, Dewey Beach). Tomorrow not a whole lot better. Temps in the high 50s, low 60s. So you haven't missed anything special.

Southeastern...
reviews: 58
10. Re: Holly Haven Guest House

slynne, Not sure what your weather source is, but it has rained most of the day here (saturday, Dewey Beach). Tomorrow not a whole lot better. Temps in the high 50s, low 60s. So you haven't missed anything special.