We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rehoboth, Bethany, Dewey? Where to Stay?

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Which Rehoboth Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leawood, KS (suburb...
reviews: 15
Rehoboth, Bethany, Dewey? Where to Stay?

Looking for opinions hope you can help!

We're planning to vacation in this area mid July with our three "kids" and their serious girlfriends/boyfriend--all in mid to late 20's. We've taken lake vacations with this group but decided to splurge for a week at the beach.

Originally I wanted to "go" to Rehoboth Beach. But now I see several beach areas nearby and am trying to decide where we want to stay! While I know we'll want to spend time at the beach, they also enjoy other activities--jet skiing, tennis, biking, go karts, etc. We don't need a crowded beach but want to be able to "drink and party" at night w/out having to drive ourselves.

Would staying in Bethany Beach or another location maybe be a better idea for us? Looking for opinions. Thanks

maryland
reviews: 3
1. Re: Rehoboth, Bethany, Dewey? Where to Stay?

i really don't know much about bethany....i drove in one day to sort of "look" at it but didn't even park my car. not because it looked bad, it looked rather nice...more because i was just passing through & was curious, but not curious enough to find a parking space & deal with the dogs just to walk around. but my impression is that it's "quieter".

you could stay in either dewey or rehoboth without noticing much difference...they're so close together.

CA and DE
reviews: 21
2. Re: Rehoboth, Bethany, Dewey? Where to Stay?

Drink-and-party is Dewey Beach. Quiet family time on the beach is Bethany Beach.

Personally, I am fond of Sea Colony condos on the beach in Bethany Beach. Everything is there. Walk to a restaurant. Go to the indoor pool, spa, sauna, outdoor pool, beach. It isn't a partying town - just a quiet drink at a nearby restaurant.

Dewey Beach is for drinking and partying - and the police are always on patrol. Drive slowly there.

Rehoboth has great restaurants. Also, I love the beer at Dog Fish Head brewery. I can't speak to the hotels. I always stay in Bethany Beach.

maryland
reviews: 3
3. Re: Rehoboth, Bethany, Dewey? Where to Stay?

"Dewey beach is for drinking and partying".

not to say that there isn't plenty of drinking & partying....but Dewey is no longer "just for" that.

especially if you're in north dewey.

our block used to be full of "party rental"houses...our house was one when we bought it. now it's strictly used by family members.

ditto with the house directly across from us, which was bought by year-round residents. we have several of those on our block (some retired couples) & relatively few rental properties anymore.

TONS of families with kids stay in dewey beach.

we are VERY rarely bothered by drunken party noise anymore....in the summer, we're more likely to be bothered by small children pitching a fit & their parents screaming at them.

Newark, Delaware
reviews: 2
4. Re: Rehoboth, Bethany, Dewey? Where to Stay?

I would stay in Rehoboth, where you can park your car & leave it for the week as everything is in a 3-4 block radius, plus many great hotel options. The 'kids' can take the trolley to Dewey Beach about a mile or so south, which is one of the best "drink and party" spots in the world. Saturday afternoon "jam session" at the Bottle and Cork in Dewey is legendary, and attended by adults of all ages. I believe they also now have Sunday jam session, but haven't been to that one. I am 46 & make it point to attend at least once every summer. For go carts & water parks, you will need to drive though, a couple miles north on Rt 1. If you stay in Bethany, about 15 miles south, you will have to drive everywhere, & there are no bars at all, by law. Only restaurants can serve alcohol, & that has only been recently. It was a "dry" town for most of the 20th century.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
reviews: 35
5. Re: Rehoboth, Bethany, Dewey? Where to Stay?

You will be bored in Bethany after a day or two. It's only about a block big and closes early.

Rehoboth, Dewey or Lewes are your best bets. I love Rehoboth, but that's because I live here.

Dewey has the rental jet skis and all that. You guys can do that even if you're staying in Rehoboth, though. It's only about a mile away & the trolly will take you there for $1.

6. Re: Rehoboth, Bethany, Dewey? Where to Stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, September 24, 2009