We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area is best for young family from overseas?

Which Stamford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 1
Which area is best for young family from overseas?

Hi there

We need to relocate to Stamford for 3-6 months while my partner finishes off his work contract, moving from London, UK in Jan/Feb 2013 time. We have a 14 month old baby so I'll be a stay at home mum while my partner works, and I'm totally excited about moving to the states although, I'm feeling a lil anxious about potentially feeling isolated with a young baby in a foreign town while my partner is working.

I'm hoping that we can find a district that is great for young families, and an great transport links to nearby cities/towns for the days out that we will probably be doing ie. New York etc. Ideally, somewhere with bars, restaurants, parks around and is safe to be walking around as a lone woman (plus baby). :o) Shops would be a bonus

Can anyone suggest any particular areas?

Thanks guys

15 replies to this topic
Bristol
reviews: 3
11. Re: Which area is best for young family from overseas?

Think downtown stamford area. My hubbie's work will be very close to these apartments.

Parallel 41

1340 Washington Blvd, Stamford, CT 06902

Does anyone have any thoughts on this block?

How much are return trains to NYC ?

thanks in advance for all the info. im working out the budget for his employer to neogiate so trying to capture evrything.

Connecticut
reviews: 4
12. Re: Which area is best for young family from overseas?

Roundtrip train fares to Grand Central Terminal, New York City is about $18.50. If you buy a strip of 10 tickets, it might be a little cheaper. Google Metro North New Haven Line and you should be able to get more up-to-date info there.

I'm not sure I know where Parallel 21 is, but I'm thinking it is one of the new apt. complexes on Washington Blvd. W.B. is a fairly busy thoroughfare and so it's quite safe. Depending on where exactly Parallel 21 is you should be able to walk to restaurants, shopping, pubs etc. It could be anywhere between a 5-15 minute walk. The train station is on the lower end of Washington Blvd. and Parallel 21 is farther up.

Connecticut
13. Re: Which area is best for young family from overseas?

Roundtrip train fares to Grand Central Terminal, New York City is about $18.50. If you buy a strip of 10 tickets, it might be a little cheaper. Google Metro North New Haven Line and you should be able to get more up-to-date info there.

I'm not sure I know where Parallel 21 is, but I'm thinking it is one of the new apt. complexes on Washington Blvd. W.B. is a fairly busy thoroughfare and so it's quite safe. Depending on where exactly Parallel 21 is you should be able to walk to restaurants, shopping, pubs etc. It could be anywhere between a 5-15 minute walk. The train station is on the lower end of Washington Blvd. and Parallel 21 is farther up.

Connecticut
14. Re: Which area is best for young family from overseas?

I drove by Parallel 41 this afternoon, on my way to pick up some toys, and it is the complex that I thought. It is a brand new complex. Mill River Park, which is very close by, is scheduled to open this spring.

FYI -- UBS and RBS are on the lower end of Washington Boulevard, close to the train station.

Bristol
reviews: 3
15. Re: Which area is best for young family from overseas?

Ahh, great thanks very much. Yes, hubbie will be based at RBS so walking distance hopefully.

Reply to: Which area is best for young family from overseas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted