We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area is best for young family from overseas?

In cooperation with: Connecticut Office of Tourism
Which Stamford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
1 post
1 review
Which area is best for young family from overseas?

Hi there

We need to relocate to Stamford for 3-6 months while my partner finishes off his work contract, moving from London, UK in Jan/Feb 2013 time. We have a 14 month old baby so I'll be a stay at home mum while my partner works, and I'm totally excited about moving to the states although, I'm feeling a lil anxious about potentially feeling isolated with a young baby in a foreign town while my partner is working.

I'm hoping that we can find a district that is great for young families, and an great transport links to nearby cities/towns for the days out that we will probably be doing ie. New York etc. Ideally, somewhere with bars, restaurants, parks around and is safe to be walking around as a lone woman (plus baby). :o) Shops would be a bonus

Can anyone suggest any particular areas?

Thanks guys

15 replies to this topic
Connecticut
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Which area is best for young family from overseas?

Look at downtown Stamford, if you want to be able to walk to restaurants, shopping, movie theatres, library etc. The train station - trains to New York City - is also fairly close. Express trains will get you into NYC in less than 45 mins and local trains take around 1 hour and 15 minutes. However, downtown living comes with a price.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Which area is best for young family from overseas?

Look at downtown Stamford, if you want to be able to walk to restaurants, shopping, movie theatres, library etc. The train station - trains to New York City - is also fairly close. Express trains will get you into NYC in less than 45 mins and local trains take around 1 hour and 15 minutes. However, downtown living comes with a price.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
148 reviews
3. Re: Which area is best for young family from overseas?

You might want to consider Greenwich. It is smaller than Stamford and a bit closer to NYC. It has all of the requirements that you requested.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
706 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Which area is best for young family from overseas?

Will you have a car? If you're not going to have a car and you want to walk to restaurants, bars, parks, etc., then you'd have to be near downtown in any town in the area. Because of zoning, most residential neighborhoods don't have restaurants and bars within walking distance. There's a bus system, but they stop running pretty early in the evening. You can see schedules here: cttransit.com/RoutesSchedules/Display.asp…

More importantly, have you looked at all to see what's available for a 3-6 month rental in your budget? There might not be a huge selection. It might be easier if you take a look and post back asking about specific towns/neighborhoods.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
58 posts
69 reviews
5. Re: Which area is best for young family from overseas?

I would consider South Norwalk over Stamford. It's a smaller city, but very walkable with lots of shopping and restaurants. Easy travel into Stamford from there via train - or easy to get into NYC via train also.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
6. Re: Which area is best for young family from overseas?

I would most definite look at your finances FIRST !!

This is going to decide for YOU where YOU can afford to live.

Stamford , Greenwich..are about the most expensive places to live outside of LA. Its called The GOld Coast...and there is a reason why it has that name.

You would be lucky to find a place in the $2000 - $3000 dollars a month...and you would need to plan for heat , electricity and or gas service all very high as well.

Many people exactly for that reason live outside of the area..and I for one KNOW you'd love Fairfield or Westport...these places may be a bit cheaper.... but your partner would still need an executives salary to afford to live there.

Bristol
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Which area is best for young family from overseas?

Aw thanks for all your suggestions and advice. The budget is uncertain just now - waiting to hear back how much employers are prepared to pay! We wont have a car for such a short time I dont think, but if we need to live further out from his office then a car might be sensible and affordable if we live further out.

I'll definately have a look at some apartments online and maybe I can post back for your thoughts?

Im heartbroekn over whats happened in Stamford, Ct with the shooting. I'm tracking the news on this and it still as shocking and horrible as the day the news broke. Thoughts and prayers are with all the families and communities affected

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
8. Re: Which area is best for young family from overseas?

The incident WAS in Fairfield County which Stamford is a part of........but NOT IN Stamford nor really nearby.

Newtown , Connecticut is quite a bit furthur north from Stamford.

It is such a horrible thing--in a place that didn't deserve it and no one would of thought such a thing would happen.

Thoughts and prayers are the best thing for all now !

Bristol
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Which area is best for young family from overseas?

anyone recommend any agents who I can contact to assist with apartment hunting? thx

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
10. Re: Which area is best for young family from overseas?

Best is to look in the Sunday Papers of the area you are interestd in.

Agents can be found in ANY Real Estate Agency handling rentals.

What area are you looking for ?

I will try and get you the paper and agents for the areas.

Stamford Papers....http://www.yellowpages.com/stamford-ct/newspapers

http://www.zillow.com/stamford-ct/rent/

Reply to: Which area is best for young family from overseas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted