We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to City alone from Stamford

In cooperation with: Connecticut Office of Tourism
Which Stamford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Deep in the Heart...
Traveling to City alone from Stamford

I am traveling on business soon, and will be staying at Stamford Hilton. I am really, really wanting to go to the city because i've never been - and I'm just a small town country girl! Will it be ridiculous for me to go alone? It looks like it's not a bad trip by train... will it be easy for me to get lost, or is relatively simple to get to and from the train? Any suggestions?

8 replies to this topic
Ellington...
reviews: 86
1. Re: Traveling to City alone from Stamford

Metro North is easy from Stamford (or anywhere along the line) and brings you right into New York City (assuming thats where you mean by city). I am not sure where your hotel is in relation to the train station in Stamford so I cannot help you there.

Deep in the Heart...
2. Re: Traveling to City alone from Stamford

Thank you... yes, I meant NYC... thanks for the input!!

Hartford
Destination Expert
for Hartford
reviews: 6
3. Re: Traveling to City alone from Stamford

Just get off at the last stop, Grand Central Station not 125th ST. From there you can walk to most places in midtown Manhattan but be brave and try the subway

Norwalk, Connecticut
reviews: 68
4. Re: Traveling to City alone from Stamford

I travel solo all the time and am from Connecticut.

You will have no problem traveling solo to the city. Its done all the time by all sorts of people for business and pleasure as well.

I do not use the subway EVER !! Did it a few times as a kid...and that was a long time ago. If you really want to experience it go ahead...but I couldn't be so bothered !!

Get your self a map--either copy it off the internet or buy one so you can sort of plan what you really want to see.

I suggest Central Park...you cannot possibly see it all---but see what ever side you can get to. its so special.

This area also has some of the great museums of the world.You cannot see everything --but if you do your homework beforehand --there might be an exhibit that is of interest to you !!

The Theatre District area is the best. You can probably pick up some tickets..reduced of course to see a afternoon showing. This you can check out on your computer at this time to see what may spark your interest..but just viewing all those Marquees always brought me joy.

Radio City Music hall---http://www.radiocity.com/

Rockerfeller Center---http://www.rockefellercenter.com/

Empire State Building--http://www.esbnyc.com/

Take a ferry around the Liberty Statue--this is another of my loves....several different choices of boats even dining ships.

http://www.statuecruises.com/

Leave for New York in the morning right after PEAK trains. It will be cheaper.

Somewhat plan your day for the three or four places you really want to see.

Plan to start in one area say Central Park and the museums on the East Side for first half or head to the ferrys if thats one of your fav's--then work to Times Square which is better to see more late /to dark. ( at least I think so )--unless you get tickets for a show--then you'll need to build your day around that

centralpark.com/guide/…around-the-park.html

42nd street is closer to Grand Central Station---so ending in the area makes sense----------

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…_New_York

Avoid travel during rush hours during the week days around 5pm to 6 or 7pm. Try to be comfy in a restaurant having dinner and a cocktail.BB Kings restaurant and Jazz Club is in this area if of interest to you.

http://www.bbkingblues.com/

Times Square--This is the place EVERYONE wants to see.

Edited: 3:40 pm, September 08, 2012
Connecticut
reviews: 35
5. Re: Traveling to City alone from Stamford

The train from Stamford to Grand Central Station is very easy. The most "dangerous" part of your trip would probably be getting from Stamford train station back to your hotel!

The streets in most of Manhattan are laid out in a grid and most are numbered, so it is very easy to keep track of where you are. (The older, southern tip of the island is a bit disorderly, but maps are available everywhere.) The subway really is not bad, but it can be confusing, so it is probably best to stick with buses or taxis.

There is so much to do and see in NYC, it is mostly a matter of deciding what interests you most. Then people can suggest whether it is possible to do everything you would like to do in one day.

Hartford...
6. Re: Traveling to City alone from Stamford

Oh my goodness! The easiest, fastest, cheapest way to fly around the city is by taking the subway! Get a subway map, don't be afraid to ask for help but don't be afraid of the subway! It's a great system and very user friendly.

Stamford...
reviews: 4
7. Re: Traveling to City alone from Stamford

What do you want to do or see in NYC? I ask because you'll take the Metro North train to Grand Central but what do you want to do from there? It would be worthwhile to maybe look at google maps to see where you'll be. It's possible to walk from there to Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Times Square, and some Museums. But if you don't have much time, it might be very worthwhile to consider taking the subway between things - especially if you're interested in seeing Greenwich Village, or the Statue of Liberty, etc.

The subway is very easy, and will help you to see more of the city in the short time you have if you're interested in going beyond midtown. People are happy to help you if you're confused. I used to take my Boston friends in to the city when I was in college and they had horrible ideas about NY. I told them to unfold a map and stand there and count how long it took before someone offered to help them. It was less than a minute.

You can look over at the New York City forum. On the top right of the page there are frequently asked questions, including things to see.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 54
8. Re: Traveling to City alone from Stamford

The Stamford Hilton has a shuttle that will take you too the Stamford Train station.The NYC Subway is the best way to get around the city i do it all the time and have female friends who do it solo as well.

Edited: 4:41 pm, September 19, 2012
Reply to: Traveling to City alone from Stamford
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted