We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak - Parking situation

In cooperation with: Connecticut Office of Tourism
Which Old Saybrook hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 19
Amtrak - Parking situation

Hi all! I needed to take the train and chose the Old Saybrook station because there is free parking available. That being said, is it safe? Would you recommend me leaving my car overnight or should I park in the neighboring area? Also where is the parking lot in relation to the station itself?

Thanks in advance!

6 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
1. Re: Amtrak - Parking situation

First time replying to my own post (lol) but completed my travel from the Old Saybrook Amtrak station. Very easy process, more pros than cons.

Pros: free parking (just don't park in the green demarcated parking spots for the pizza area), safe parking (left my car there for a few days), clean-pretty station, restaurants nearby if you need a bite to eat, station master announces when trains are coming and at which track

Cons: station master announces when trains are coming and at which track - there wasn't a billboard that I saw which listed the track (so if you missed the announcement, you might have to go to the station master), there is only one representative in the station (I had called several times beforehand and no one answered the phone)

Hope this is helpful to someone else!

MA
reviews: 18
2. Re: Amtrak - Parking situation

We are doing the Old Saybrook Amtrak station as well. May I ask what time you arrived to find the free parking? Was it during the week?

Thanks for the info :)

New York City, New...
3. Re: Amtrak - Parking situation

Free parking was anytime of the day or day of the week. Awesome no?!

MA
reviews: 18
4. Re: Amtrak - Parking situation

Yes it sure is! :)

My only concern is that since we are traveling during the week that by the time we arrive in the morning all the parking spots will be taken by commuters.

That being said did you see any pay lots available as well?

Mystic, Connecticut
reviews: 88
5. Re: Amtrak - Parking situation

This is probably too late for RBJ but there are ample spots available. Have never seen it full. The new thing is just this month they are charging for parking.$5 per day. The shoreline east lot next to Amtrak lot is still free.(how can they tell who is going on which train?)

Westbrook...
6. Re: Amtrak - Parking situation

Just FYI ,, we parked there for our trip to boston on amtrak on new years day. We did not park where the signs indicated the parking was for the restaurant. When we returned, we has two $10 parking fee tickets on our windshield. When i inquired the Saybrook Realty Partners[the name listed on the parking fee tickets] about the validity of the tickets, they stated they owned the lot, and we should have parked in the amtrak lot. However, we parked in the lot adjacent to the train platform where we boarded amtrak. So beware of signs, since we never saw any, but Saybrook Realty Partners stated we could park for free in the Amtrak lot , wherever that is.

Reply to: Amtrak - Parking situation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Old Saybrook