We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat near Union Station

In cooperation with: Connecticut Office of Tourism
Which New Haven hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
reviews: 37
Where to eat near Union Station

I will be off on a series of business trips in New Haven, starting january. I don't have the hotel yet but i assume it will be near Union Station. Possibly La Quinta or New Haven Hotel, any comments on these?

Anybody kind enough to recommend places to eat as well, in mid range?

I need a few suggestions to occupy my nights, nothing fancy, perhaps a quick walk around Yale, visiting one or two buildings at night (hopefully some stuff is open).

Any suggestions? :)

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 13
1. Re: Where to eat near Union Station

Neither hotel is near Union Station (if you are referring to the train station), both hotels are a quick cab ride away, or you can take a city bus downtown to the New Haven Hotel. The La Quinta Hotel has more updated room furnishings (and better parking if you’ll have a car), but a little remote to downtown New Haven; also not very many options for dining (Hotel dining & Brazi’s Italian Restaurant) or nightlife, just the Long Wharf Theater and IKEA. The New Haven Hotel is in the center of downtown New Haven within walking distance to plenty of restaurants, bars, nightlife and yale (here you will want to leave the car parked and walked, too much of a hassle parking, meters and expense pay lots). New Haven has a huge variety of restaurants… inexpensive to fine dining… Louis Lunch & Prime 16 (Burgers), Claire’s Corner Copia (Vegetarian), Golden Palace (Chinese), Kumo (Japanese), Thali (Indian) and the Wooster Street area restaurants for Italian and famous New Haven Pizza, also Modern Pizza a quick cab ride away on State Street! There is also BAR, the Anchor and Richters for drinks. You are also within walking distance to the Criteron Cinemas if you want to take in a movie.

I’ve lived in New Haven the better part of my life… let me know if you need any specific info and when you plan on traveling.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
2. Re: Where to eat near Union Station

Thank you very much for the information! Those restaurant suggestions sound yummy.

Yes i noticed that New Haven Hotel seems to be better located in terms of activities and restaurants, but since i am not the one paying for said hotel... I believe the priority is to be somewhat near Union Station.

Are there any "good" hotels near it? Google Maps and TA did not list anything closer then the two i've named.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 13
3. Re: Where to eat near Union Station

Union Station is not located in the safest part of town, fine during business hours but not a place you would want to be walking around at night, especiallly if you are not familiar with the area.

Based on comfort and amenities I would choose La Quinta over the New Haven Hotel, especially if you will have a car; downtown New Haven is a 5-10 min drive from the hotel, La Quinta also offers shuttle service. If you should drive into New Haven have plenty of quarters for on the street metered parking, pay lots are generally $5-10 to park if youre there for 1 or 4 hours. La Quinta also offers a complimentary continental breakfast daily, the hotel restaurant is not the best and Brazi's Italian Restaurant next door is good and priced mid-range (dinner here is sometime chaotic with people dining before the theater); better selection of food and restaurants downtown New Haven.

I check tripadvisor daily if you have any other questions. Good Luck

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
4. Re: Where to eat near Union Station

Thank you so much!

I will likely suggest my boss book us in La Quinta for the first trip (we are a few going for 1 night stay) and the next trip, which might be longer i'll try New Haven Hotel probably. I will likely come back to the forum for more advice or some reviews.

Until next time... Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

5. Re: Where to eat near Union Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 23, 2010