We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somewhere beautiful October 13 for three night

In cooperation with: Connecticut Office of Tourism
Which Litchfield hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
memphis, tn
reviews: 27
Somewhere beautiful October 13 for three night

Please help....

My husband and I are coming for the first time to CT the week of October 13. Share your thoughts on what towns should be our stops, where we should go for spectacular photo opps. Where is the most scenic area to stay in this area? I read about Litchfield, Norfolk, and Lakefield. We are coming to do photography and see the fall color.

10 replies to this topic
conn
reviews: 105
1. Re: Somewhere beautiful October 13 for three night

Kent, Cornwall, Falls Village is a nice area. The views over looking the Housatonic river and covered bridge in Cornwall are nice.

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Connecticut
reviews: 93
2. Re: Somewhere beautiful October 13 for three night

I agree with davep.. The Northwestern part of the state is gorgeous. Kent is a great town to walk around and you can visit Kent Falls. Actually exactly what the previous poster said! :) Cornwall is beautiful too.

Really the Northwestern portion of the state (Litchfield County) runs through the Berkshire Mountains and is perfect for leaf peeping.. http://the-berkshires.com/

Have fun!

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
reviews: 103
3. Re: Somewhere beautiful October 13 for three night

The drive along Route 7 from Gaylordsville to West Cornwall along the Housatonic River is great. There is a covered bridge at Bull's Bridge just above Gaylordsville and a second at West Cornwall where there are some interesting shops. The town of Kent has some nice shops too. Kent Falls State Park is worth a visit. The Bull's Bridge Inn is a lovely old restaurant.

New York City, New...
4. Re: Somewhere beautiful October 13 for three night

Yankee Magazine has named East Haddam, CT as 11th on its list of the top 25 towns in New England for fall foliage viewing.

East Haddam is a historic town nestled on the banks of Connecticut River and considered to be one of the most picturesque small towns in CT.

It is home to Goodspeed Musicals - http://www.goodspeed.org/ Gillette Castle and Boardman House Inn - http://www.boardmanhouse.com/

Connecticut
reviews: 68
5. Re: Somewhere beautiful October 13 for three night

You could easily do both areas as CT isn't all that big. Both areas are very pretty. However, I find that peak leak turning doesn't happen until later in October no matter what others may say. You might get more heading into The Berkshires than around the CT River area if you are set on October 13th.

memphis, tn
6. Re: Somewhere beautiful October 13 for three night

Actually we have about a week beginning 10/13 so we should be lucky with our travels. Is Morris near Kent?

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
reviews: 103
7. Re: Somewhere beautiful October 13 for three night

Morris is east of Kent about 21 miles.

Brewster, New York
reviews: 25
8. Re: Somewhere beautiful October 13 for three night

What type of lodging appeals to you? A national chain? Romantic B&B? Historic B&B? Water views? And, most important of all, your per night budget (including tax.) I live just over the border in NY and have visited all OVER northwestern CT (Litchfield County.) There are no shortages of fantastic vistas, mountains, streams, covered bridges, waterfalls, winding country roads and picturesque New England towns right out of a Currier & Ives print. Knowing what you like and what your budget is will help us help you! BTW...your timing will be perfect for good color!!! (I'm nearly 60 and have lived here my entire life. History has proven that Columbus Day weekend is 95% of the time the PEAK COLOR in NW CT.)

memphis, tn
9. Re: Somewhere beautiful October 13 for three night

We are interested in photography opportunities and relaxing in the evening. We like B&B around $250 or less/nightly unless it is worth more to stay somewhere special. We don't mind moving around the state so that we get to see more. We will have a car. My husband and I are in our 50s and we enjoy traveling without reservations but like to sorta know where we are going.

Sudbury...
reviews: 2
10. Re: Somewhere beautiful October 13 for three night

I'm actually looking for a spot for the Thanksgiving weekend for a big groups of kids, adults, and grandparents. Ideally, I'd like a place with some charm, a decent indoor pool, and a place for drinks and dining. Any suggestions? Relatives will be gathering from the New York and Boston areas. Thanks so much!

Reply to: Somewhere beautiful October 13 for three night
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Litchfield
More Litchfield Topics